• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1865 Proof Indian Cents...

4 posts in this topic

Can someone give me a few tips as to what to look for to determine an MS coin from a proof? Can you have a Fancy 5 on a proof? What about evidence of doubling? (AKA Longacres doubling) What about the rims? Should they be squared off? The fields? Anything special? Any help would be good. Thanks!

If you have access to Ricard Snow's F.E.&Indian Cent Attribution Guide it will give you this info for all dates. I have the 1859-1869 2nd edition vol 2. If the coins in question fall into that category then I would be glad to answer your specific date questions. Of course for the 1905 their was an attribution post a month or so back about an anomaly just above the F in OF in the denticle, and most denticles are squared off on proof coins. They really stand out at you in comparison to an MS coin. Good luck Bruce.

Bruce, I hope this helps. I believe their are a few instances of a fancy five proof, but not for sure-maybe only as a pattern. There are some definitive marks of a proof which these pages will tell you. Good Luck.

1865page.jpg1865page2.jpg