• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK copper sizes a help to id them

7 posts in this topic

I have been asked about the UK 1/4p 1/2p and one penny coins of the 1800's and how to tell them appart so hear is a picture of the coins of George III all dated 1906..

The 1960 cent is for scale Ps its a die error 27_laughing.gif

1763140-1806.jpg

Hope this helps and any more questions drop me a line thumbsup2.gif

1763140-1806.jpg.de68d932f203c2e3642b00b7f311d4e6.jpg

Great, thanks very much for the help. The one I've got is too small to be a penny, too big to be a farthing; it's a half. No offense, but His Majesty sure had a sloped forehead in that image (and that's not chauvinism, as my ancestors fought for him in our War of Independence).

The reverse looks very much like a blurry Liberty outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed Probably very appealing in good condition.

Yep you were bang on he is a right ugly Mofo but at least he was true to himself and did not pritty up his bust .. Like some of our other kings and queens 27_laughing.gif

hear is the Rev: for you

1763362-1806.jpg

hi.gif

1763362-1806.jpg.1828e93cd3b33c7abcbfc3ca5232b990.jpg

Dooley,

Whats the deal with the upside down Lincoln obverse as the reverse?

Nice represenatation of the other coins by the way.

Rey

Hey dooley, why don't you start a thread with busts of ugly kings but beautiful coins? Sure the George III, Williams III and IV busts were ugly but some of the coins are a real beauty. Some forum members do have some pretty nice coins of these monarchs.

I have some Canadian coins with Queen Victoria. Toward the end she was definitely looking what one might call 'regally frumpy'. By comparison, QE II has been rather blessed in her aging. But I'll concur with our British colleague: KG III may not have been studly-looking, but if he put his real pic on the coins without edits, I respect that.

at least he was true to himself and did not pritty up his bust
until the I believe 1816 shilling came out. I believe they changed the bust the next year because the bust was too unflattering.