• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the chances or has there been a stash of morgans found?

9 posts in this topic

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I posted last night that my local coin shop had phoned up and had got 2 "UNC" Morgans in that i mite like.... Well not bad and nice tones so i nabbed them..

Strange thing is i got a toned 1904 from eBay a week or so ago and all 3 have the same errors tones ect..

Has some one found a horde of them or are they just normal ones ?

Obv: of the two i picked up today

1748572-1.jpg

Rev: Of the two picked up to day

1748572-11.jpg

Neck mark

1748572-neck.jpg

Dot below wing

1748572-1ad.jpg

Die cracks

1748572-cracks.jpg

America die crack

1748572-die.jpg

So is it luck or what 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ps if you like you could have a go at grading these two thumbsup2.gif

Thanks dooly devil.gif

1748572-die.jpg.3b4b12ce293359ee5a13bf6910a02ba5.jpg

Dooly

The 1904 O is the second most available New Orleans minted Morgan $ in BU condition-the 1885 O is first. This is due to the early 60's release by the Treasury of many HUNDREDS of mint bags of these dates. These appear to be typical weak strikes(hair above ear and breast feathers). Strong strikes are available but much harder to find. Still nice coins, though. Any MS Morgan is nice to have in my opinion.

There are probably 1000's of small Morgan (and Peace) dollar stashes still out there somewhere. I used to buy mixed BU rolls back in the 1970's at coin shows and stash them away. I sold all of mine but few loose Peace dollars. However, others may still have similar rolls. They were easily obtained at the time that I bought mine (for approximately $200.00 per roll, in tubes). The 1904-O was one of the easier dates to obtain.

Apparently back when my folks were first married and making a go of it, sometimes when things were tight my mom would use Morgans out of my Dad's stash to buy groceries and such. What used to be many many rolls dwindled down to about 50. I wish they would have hoarded those a little better. makepoint.gif

The 1904-O had a mintage of 3.7 million coins. If the average die life was 200,000 coins then here would have only been about 16 reverse dies used. Since the two you bought today came in together ther is a fair chance they have been together all along. Not too surprising they came from the same dies.

The one you picked up off of eBay had about a 1 in 16 chance of also having the same reverse die. It really isn't that surprising that it did. And people tend to remember the times when a coincidence does happen, and don't remember all the times when it didn't. It makes those times when it does seem that much more remarkable.

Die cracks are extremely common on Morgans, and that mark on the neck is part of the design. If you check your two closely, you'll note the mintmark is differently located - two different reverse dies were used to strike them.

Have a look at the reverse of the right-hand one. Note the OL in DOLLAR - it appears to be a Pitted Reverse VAM, either 4A, 4B or 5A. This one you need to look into further.

The biggest coup when purchasing 1904-O Morgan Dollars to find one that well struck with full breast feathers on the reverse. I've found that I can get a little extra money for those when I find them and point it out to potential buyers. Most 1904-O dollars are flat as a pancake in that area because the New Orleans mint, as it often did, failed to bason the dies properly before they were put into service. You will see 1904-O Morgan Dollars with impressive P-L surfaces, but very poor strikes in the centers of both sides.