• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASE question re: pre/post minting issue

5 posts in this topic

hey all

A little help please. Who could I send this coin to other than a TPG that could tell me whether the planchet had a hardness test applied and instead of being discarded was then mixed into the minting process? I was told last year to send it to NGC and I emailed them with the question and was sent to the submission page. I purchased 5 1986 coins and 5 1987 coins at the same time at a coinshow and did not look close enough at them, then 20 years later I am looking at them and see this. I offer a couple of photos showing the mark. I cannot imagine anyone performing a hardness test on an uncirculated specimen but go figure-people shoot people because they are mad.

1986eagleerror.jpg

error2.jpg

That does not appear like the hardness test was performed before striking. I agree, it does look like a hardness test dent, but the hole seems very large. All the hardness tests I have done have been 1/16th inch or smaller diameter tips. I could definitely see it being done in a college lab course, just because it is an easily obtainable and fairly uniform sample of an important metal.

If you will note it is about the size of the base of the letter A, which I would imagine is about .06 or close to 1/16. The dealer I bought these from had about 20 or so and they were not out of my hands for 20 years. I have no way of knowing what happened in the short time before my ownership but I feel that he got them from the mint, just a feeling-not knowlege.