• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1900-O Quarter with weird lumps, what are they?

14 posts in this topic

there's a lot going on with that coin Carl. Interesting. Would love to see a much larger image though. Also, a view of the front of the coin.

I'm not too familiar with coins this modern ( smirk.gif ), but I suspect if this metal is actually original, then the die must have been falling apart and metal flowed into the recesses where chunks of metal broke off. But if metal from the planchet flowed into pits in the die, then there should have been less metal for flow into the obverse die, which is kind of why I'd like to see the obverse.

Interesting coin Carl.

i cant tell from the photo too well

in hand sight seen i could tell you

but..............................

from the photos my guesstimate is post mint man made damage

Were it to be solder, then simply touch a soldering iron to it and if it flows then bingo! As all solder's melting point is below 450 degrees fahrenheit and coin silver's is 1600+ degrees fahrenheit-no further damage to coin could be done than is already done. One might even be able to remove it for the most part. Just a thought.

Jim

Were it to be solder, then simply touch a soldering iron to it and if it flows then bingo! As all solder's melting point is below 450 degrees fahrenheit and coin silver's is 1600+ degrees fahrenheit-no further damage to coin could be done than is already done. One might even be able to remove it for the most part. Just a thought.

This would be true if they used electronics solder or plumbing solder, but normally, in fact almost always, when you find a coin with solder on it you will find that it is silver solder used in jewelry not the lead based solder. Silver solder is used because they need the high strength it provides for the joint. Silver solder melts at a much higher temperature than you can reach with a soldering iron. You need a torch iron to reach the 1200 to 1400 degrees at which silver solder melts. Without great care you can easily damage the coin trying to heat it up enough to remove the solder unless you know what you are doing.

I haven't actually tested or done anything with that quarter yet. I'm not sure what to do. Because of the blackish toning in the center of the coin and the appearance of the blobs I'm thinking solder is the most likely problem.