• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Liberty Seated Quarter grade

10 posts in this topic

I know, I know the photos suck, but that's all I have to deal with until the coin arrives. Looking at the original background(it's darker in the photo of the rev also) of the pics explains the lighting use causing the lighter/darker coin surfaces, I think. I see the scratch at her wrist on the obverse. I won this in a BIN or best offer which we both made two offer/counter offers and I am tickled. I have had several of these coins but none of this quality.

Go ahead and let me have it.

Jim 1853w_arrowsobvrev.jpg

Tom

Don't be sorry-I asked for your opinion. I still love the coin and especially the reverse, I'm still looking at it. When you say stripped, exactly what do you mean-I thought that meant cleaned, but obviously not.

Thanks to all who responded.

Jim

Howdy Jim. I am glad you appear to take what I write in the nature that it is meant; not as a mean-spirited jab, but as a blunt comment. A coin that is dipped can be considered to have been stripped, yet most folks might not consider a dipped coin to be cleaned. Therefore, if this piece were simply a deeply toned coin that someone dipped it would then, in my opinion, be stripped but not necessarily cleaned. In other words, it may have no hairlines or other impairment other than a relatively odd appearance for a coin of that age and with that degree of wear. Truly, there is part of me that is glad you are happy with the coin and part of me that wonders if you will remain happy with it in the future.

Tom

You are probably right-when I view a better quality 1853 quarter that is within my means I will sell and trade up--but at this point the reverse just seemed to grab me. Again, I thank you for your comments.

Jim