• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever noticed that a lot of 'high end' coins

16 posts in this topic

Have you ever noticed that a lot of 'high end' coins look just like the easter eggs you made from those color easter egg sets when you were a kid?

And Have you ever noticed that these coins are heavily touted and all the rage and that they have nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the meat of collecting?

Have you ever noticed that a lot of 'high end' coins look just like the easter eggs you made from those color easter egg sets when you were a kid?

I never understand your analogies. What? think.gif

Are they high end because of the coin or the color? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Yes is the answer to both depending on the coin.

Looking at many Battle Creek Morgans I have come to the conclusion that some coins graded up a point or two because of the toning. Would this be normal for coins with a pedigree? I've come to the conclusion that it is. I'm talking coins here that would be a 62 or 63 if they were white but were graded 64 or 65 because of the tone.

How much of the color is from changes in photo software versus the coin in hand? confused-smiley-013.gif Somehow many toned coins in hand do not look as vivid as their photographs portray them. There are many legitimate reasons for this such as the type of light, angle of the lighting and other variables such as position of the coin, headlight toning etc. that is not readily apparent at first glance.

You raise an interesting question Mike. I liked toned coins but some of the so-called "Easter Egg" colors bring up the issue of AT versus NT which we have been through many times before.

It comes down to this: How much are you willing to pay for the coin for its toning versus the coin on its own technical merits regardless of toning? juggle.gif That's what each buyer must personally determine.

Are they high end because of the coin or the color? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Yes is the answer to both depending on the coin.

Looking at many Battle Creek Morgans I have come to the conclusion that some coins graded up a point or two because of the toning. Would this be normal for coins with a pedigree? I've come to the conclusion that it is. I'm talking coins here that would be a 62 or 63 if they were white but were graded 64 or 65 because of the tone.

How much of the color is from changes in photo software versus the coin in hand? confused-smiley-013.gif Somehow many toned coins in hand do not look as vivid as their photographs portray them. There are many legitimate reasons for this such as the type of light, angle of the lighting and other variables such as position of the coin, headlight toning etc. that is not readily apparent at first glance.

You raise an interesting question Mike. I liked toned coins but some of the so-called "Easter Egg" colors bring up the issue of AT versus NT which we have been through many times before.

It comes down to this: How much are you willing to pay for the coin for its toning versus the coin on its own technical merits regardless of toning? juggle.gif That's what each buyer must personally determine.

Well said T J 893applaud-thumb.gif In other words "all that glitters is not gold" bumpit.gif

I never understand your analogies. What? think.gif

I will PM you about this, maybe that would help. It's like a bodybuilder wearing tanning stuff, became almost a requirement.

And Have you ever noticed that these coins are heavily touted and all the rage and that they have nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the meat of collecting?

So, are you really asking: Which came first - the chicken or the egg or the coin doctor? 27_laughing.gif

For the sake of this conversation, I have collected Peace dollars for about (30) years or so. I built several sets of various grades from AU55 to MS66 and owned many other individual coins bought at many major shows. During this period, until recently, it was a rare Peace dollar that had more than the usual thick white or golden bag toning from long periods of storage. Once in a while, I would see a light pastel pink and blue coin (usually a "S" mint), probably from a paper wrapped, bank roll of dollars. I also saw many dipped coins that had bright, cartwheel luster but no color, except maybe a touch of light gold toning.

Now, in the past 4-5 years, there are all of these brightly toned red, blue and gold toned Peace dollars appearing rather frequently. I have often wondered if these brightly toned Peace dollars were recently found in caves by elves, somewhere deep in the Black Forest or something? There certainly weren't this many brightly toned Peace collars around before about (5) years ago.

Remember Mike.. One mans egg could be another mans treasure. 893naughty-thumb.gif

hi.gif

One mans tarnish .................................. is still tarnish. thumbsup2.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, are you really asking: Which came first - the chicken or the egg or the coin doctor?

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifheadbang.gif