• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever lost faith in a dealership

14 posts in this topic

Have you ever lost faith in a dealership you initially trusted because they are a big name and have expensive and pretty coins and everyone talks about them?

In fact you may have gotten a coin or two from them and they were nice.

then, as you study and learn, you see their descriptions are way overdone; like fully struck when it's not, or original tone when its not, or clean surfaces, but they are hairlined?? or it's called PQ and you don't understand how it ended up in a 62 holder???

And in retrospect and the more you think about it the more foolish the whole thing seems and the more foolish they seem and how foolish the susceptibility to falling for that *spoon* seems?

I have!

I have never dealt with many dealers like you have but I have been disappointed placing too much trust in a few. I guess that was my fault for being so trusting.

However, since then I have come to know of a few good dealers/sellers who I would trust. A few of them are active on this forum. thumbsup2.gif

Mike---- Sounds like the evolution of a coin collector who has paid his dues. Who has gone from a novice to a more educated collector.

One thing about coin collecting----you either must get better at it, or you or your heirs will find out how "POOR" a collector you really were----as you or they go to sell your collection after you are gone.

Getting better at "THE GIANT GAME" requires experience. Seeing a lot of coins helps. Having a knowledgable mentor helps. Spending time reading and learning helps. If you put the time into it, 'maybe' you will learn enough to stay afloat in this business. Learning how to grade your series is a MUST.

Trust is earned. But, you must let a person know that you know as much as they do. Only way to gain respect is to show knowledge. Otherwise, they will let you drown in your own ignorance. A collector MUST be as smart as the person trying to sell him or her a coin. If not, the collector is at a disadvantage. Simple as that. Bob [supertooth]

Have you ever lost faith in a dealership you initially trusted because they are a big name and have expensive and pretty coins and everyone talks about them?

then, as you study and learn, you see their descriptions are way overdone; like fully struck when it's not, or original tone when its not, or clean surfaces, but they are hairlined?? or it's called PQ and you don't understand how it ended up in a 62 holder???

And in retrospect and the more you think about it the more foolish the whole thing seems and the more foolish they seem and how foolish the susceptibility to falling for that *spoon* seems?

I have!

Honestly, my short answer is "no". But that's because I am willing to take full responsibility for my coin purchases. If a dealer swears up and down that some coin is "wonderful", and I don't use my own common sense to decide for myself, that's MY fault.

What's really sad is if you lose faith in yourself. If that happens, then for your own good, you should not be collecting coins.

THE single most important thing that you need to be able to have faith in where a dealer is concerned is a reasonable return policy. ALL other acts of faith are the collector's responsibility.

I've made big mistakes in the past, but in every instance that I can recall, I saw it is my fault, not the dealer's fault.

I had an incident where I purchased an expensive, better date, certified, MS65, $20 Saint from a large national dealer. The listing was phrased in glowing terms about color, original mint toning, surfaces, ad naseum. Then some time later, I consigned the same coin to one of their auctions and they cataloged it as MS65-Rub! That got my juices flowing (!) and I sent them a copy of their original glowing advertisement, their photos and invoice from when I bought the Saint! I also pulled the coin from the auction. I think that they were a little embarassed.

I guess this can happen to anyone. The same dealer sold me a puttied, raw, better date, Barber dime some years earlier. However, I don't believe they knew the dime was doctored. I think that most big firms utilise auction catalogers who are junior employees, that examine each individual coin for about (8) nanoseconds.

I have!

Are craftsman ever truly happy with the results of there project. I don’t think so.

Like the craftsman, the collector, in there quest to acquire that perfect specimen continues relentlessly. makepoint.gif

Mike, I think you are this collector. smile.gif