• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ANR/STACKS deteriorating?

7 posts in this topic

My impression, and I could very well be wrong, but it's my impression, that ANR was far better -- in both the kinds of coins they auctioned and the photography -- before this whole STACKS/ANR thing occured. Any thoughts? Or am I just hallucinating?

It seems too soon and that the sample size is too small, to be reaching meaningful conclusions about the quality of coins that are being sold. Both ANR and Stack's individually sold numerous great and numerous not-so-great coins, and I doubt that things will be different with the recent combination.

I just did a quick check on a small number of images in the latest sale and they looked fine to me.

My impression, and I could very well be wrong, but it's my impression, that ANR was far better -- in both the kinds of coins they auctioned and the photography -- before this whole STACKS/ANR thing occured. Any thoughts? Or am I just hallucinating?

i totally agree...................... thumbsup2.gif and if their last sale the brookyln sale was any indication it was the worst "anr" sale i have ever seen in terms of coins and quality

and i got all their auction cats and have followed them closely

but i will give them a little more time to settle in and we shall see in a year from now

lets resirrect this thread a year from now and then we can answwer again with more time to evaulate

They have sent me all their auction Catalogs for about 1yr now.I have never made a purchase through them.There printing mailing expensive must be huge.Now I put the prices sold in the auction catalogs helps me keep track where I am

I feel just the opposite as I have not seen more that 3 or 4 lots that I would have bid on since the merger. Prior to the merger I would be interested in at least checking out that many lots every Stacks auction (and bidding on 1 or 2) whereas I might or might not see any lots I was interested ing persuing from any given ANR auction.

the images, a lot of them, look like *spoon*. they used to have much better images.

the quality of the coins, some are great, some really great coins, but it just seems overall the quality has gone down. i don't think I'm imagining it at all.

Mike the last Stack's catalog Ancient and Modern Coins of the world and the US April18 2007 Indian Head Quarter Eagles list 1908 vf-20 1909ef-40 1911 cef-40 1930 about un 50 1913 ef40 1914 vf-20 doesn't say ngc just their grade I guess 13 pages of enameled coins.

Seems to me they are doing a lot of work for so many coins from vf 12 throught vf40 range.