• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has somebody got beef with me? ("rate this thread" system comments)

81 posts in this topic

There seems to be an almost can’t prove pattern going on with the stars.

Did you know you can drag your mouse across the stars and when you stop how many rated the thread is revealed? I guess that is what the rates number means.

In addition the 5 star threads are/were rated by only one vote assuming the aforementioned is correct. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looking at these numbers, Michael I think you have a gang or a group of wee wee winkied individuals after you. gossip.gif

I'm just wondering because someone appears to be giving my threads a single star lately. Whoever it is, what's your issue? You brave enough to come out with it?

Your rating for this topic (1 Star) has been accepted. In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

makepoint.gif Thanks for the chance!

Looking at these numbers, Michael I think you have a gang or a group of wee wee winkied individuals after you. gossip.gif

gossip.gifdevil.gifgossip.gifdevil.gifgossip.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

People with pet peeves shouldn't be allowed to insult others anonymously.

Exactly, Chris. And, I've never had any qualms about insulting you to your face! tongue.gif But, I'm still fond of ya, you gator eater, you! grin.gif

Same goes for you, Fergie, er...I mean...princess. hi.gif

you suck big time Victor

no stars for you! NEXT! (paraphrased from the Soup Nazi)

only kidding.

There have been simpletons like that lurking every since I joined the boards. They have wee little minds to match their wee little winkies. I've learned to ignore their backstabbing attempts because why should I let an obviously inferior person influence my mood!

little winkies rules me out tongue.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

I'm very bothered by the possibilities that arise from both of those options when it comes to the BST board. It essentially offers anonymous users to make a negative comment towards sellers or buyers without elaborating or attaching their names to the negativity. I could really care less what people think of my regular posts; I say what I mean and if I decide I was wrong, I'll correct myself as I see appropriate. I am bothered by someone being able to potentially interfere with someone else's business ventures on this board in an anonymous way.

Your comment about the BST board is very appropriate. I put a coin up for auction on ebay and a couple of people had negative things to say about the coin (they've apologized since) but it's not the place for insinuating negativity whether it's meant or not or whatever, YOU"RE TRYING TO SELL A COIN!!!

So my coin sold for much less than it was worth. Was it the comments? Maybe not, but I'll never know. Well, whoever got that coin made out quite well!

I think the moderators would be very sympathetic to a request to end the star rating system on the BST board, but I don't know if their software could make that differentiation.

Believe it or not, I like the ranking system for posts, and I'll bet the comic people would be up in arms without it!!!!

I wonder if it's a new member that thinks any star is a good thing. Heck, I would bet many older members don't even know how the thing works. smile.gif Just a thought. Don't let it bug you.

I dont think I have ever rated a thread. I dont even know how to. But if I did I would rate this thread 1 star. grin.gif

I'm very bothered by the possibilities that arise from both of those options when it comes to the BST board. It essentially offers anonymous users to make a negative comment towards sellers or buyers without elaborating or attaching their names to the negativity. I could really care less what people think of my regular posts; I say what I mean and if I decide I was wrong, I'll correct myself as I see appropriate. I am bothered by someone being able to potentially interfere with someone else's business ventures on this board in an anonymous way.

Your comment about the BST board is very appropriate. I put a coin up for auction on ebay and a couple of people had negative things to say about the coin (they've apologized since) but it's not the place for insinuating negativity whether it's meant or not or whatever, YOU"RE TRYING TO SELL A COIN!!!

So my coin sold for much less than it was worth. Was it the comments? Maybe not, but I'll never know. Well, whoever got that coin made out quite well!

I think the moderators would be very sympathetic to a request to end the star rating system on the BST board, but I don't know if their software could make that differentiation.

Believe it or not, I like the ranking system for posts, and I'll bet the comic people would be up in arms without it!!!!

There are people who will degrade an item in hopes of keeping the price down. To that same type of person making an anonymous negative comment could easily instill doubt to eliminate competition, to keep the buying price lower.

I hate to say this but out of all the hobbies and recreational activities I have been and am a part of, coin collecting and sales has to be the most vicious and hateful of them all. This only serves to turn me off.

Remember how folks were at each others throats at Christmas time. That is the sole reason I didn’t attend Fun this year. And I looked forward to it all year. frown.gif

I wonder if it's a new member that thinks any star is a good thing. Heck, I would bet many older members don't even know how the thing works. smile.gif Just a thought. Don't let it bug you.

I dont think I have ever rated a thread. I dont even know how to. But if I did I would rate this thread 1 star. grin.gif

bumpit.gif

I agree with you makepoint.gif

It's a question of if the software can handle it and/or if CU programmers can add/maintain the feature. I don't have a problem with ending the rating system in BST and/or making the votes public.
I also like the ranking system. From my non-BST coin forum observations, the actual number of times it is abused seems very small. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater smile.gif

I hate to say this but out of all the hobbies and recreational activities I have been and am a part of, coin collecting and sales has to be the most vicious and hateful of them all. This only serves to turn me off.
What's happening here with Michael's posts here is actually very tame compared to what I've seen from web communities in recreational areas. And in the coin world, what happens here is very tame compared to what happens ATS (even though they don't have a ranking system), so this actually seems like the tame of the tame to me. However, people's feelings should still be taken into account but calling and/or implying this particular community is among "the most vicious and hateful of them all" doesn't seem fitting to me, in fact it seems very gentle.

What's happening here with Michael's posts here is actually very tame compared to what I've seen from web communities in recreational areas. And in the coin world, what happens here is very tame compared to what happens ATS (even though they don't have a ranking system), so this actually seems like the tame of the tame to me. However, people's feelings should still be taken into account but calling and/or implying this particular community is among "the most vicious and hateful of them all" doesn't seem fitting to me, in fact it seems very gentle.

I have not been a member of any other coin collecting forums. And I never said this was the worst nor did I imply that it is. I’m saying the hobby as a whole.

Fortunately for me I have many other interests of which I have far more involvement and knowledge of. smirk.gif

I have not been a member of any other coin collecting forums. And I never said this was the worst nor did I imply that it is. I’m saying the hobby as a whole.

Fortunately for me I have many other interests of which I have far more involvement and knowledge of. smirk.gif

I guess one's perspective here depends on what hobbies and recreational activities one has been and is a part of.

Mountaineering is one of my activities and I don't think I've seen anything in coin collecting like the international schism that occurred in the climbing community after Jon Krakauer's book "Into Thin Air" criticized Anatoli Boukreev. That Boukreev later died on a mountaineering expedition makes the disagreement more tragic. In a web mountaineering community I participate on, one accomplished climber and website contributor felt "cheated" and left to create a personal "competing" website. That person later died on a climbing expedition in the Alps. While the deaths are tragic, the community schisms in both cases are probably just as vicious if not more so than the ones in the coin collecting community.

As mentioned above, one's perspective here probably depends in large part to what communities one participates in. I, for one, find coin collecting refreshingly devoid of serious drama - it's only money smile.gif

Please do not try and change the conversation just because you didn’t read my post correctly or didn’t understand it. I’m not that stupid. 27_laughing.gif

Please do not try and change the conversation just because you didn’t read my post correctly or didn’t understand it. I’m not that stupid. 27_laughing.gif
I'm simply saying I have a much different perspective than yours and think the coin collecting (and sales) hobby as a whole is quite tame.

I think it's much more friendly/low-drama than vicious/hateful. I don't think there's anything wrong with disagreeing. Of course, instead of posting a reply, I could simply give this thread 1 star 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm simply saying I have a much different perspective than yours and think the coin collecting (and sales) hobby as a whole is quite tame.

I think it's much more friendly/low-drama than vicious/hateful. I don't think there's anything wrong with disagreeing. Of course, instead of posting a reply, I could simply give this thread 1 star 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You are undoubtedly a much wiser and more matured man than me, please except my humble apologies for my arrogant ignorance. I’m but a lowly lad. flowerred.gif