• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FESS UP! Is there anyone else like me?

13 posts in this topic

When I reacquainted myself with the hobby after a 25-year hiatus, I went back to collecting my favorite........Morgans. I started by buying a group of 30, and over the years gradually upgraded each coin whenever I could. Then, I started adding DMPL's and upgraded them whenever I could. I also did the same with toned Morgans and TPGS Morgans.

I really regret having sold my collection that I had accumulated in the late 50's & '60's, but I guess there is no point in crying over it. The "problem" that I have, now, is that I do not want to get rid of the lower-graded coins that I have replaced. I still have all of them! Does anyone else have this same "problem"?

Chris

No.

Sure, I may keep a few coins that I’ve upgraded for one sentimental reason or another, but by and large if I’m upgrading a coin in my collection it’s because I found an example that I feel is substantially nicer then the one it is replacing, so I don’t mind selling the old coin to help offset the cost of it’s replacement.

John

I only have my lower grade Indian Cents because they were given to my by my late grandfather. They are still in the Library of Coins album that they were given to me.

I also have my lower grade Lincoln Cents in the Whitman folder I first used in the very early 1970s when I started.

In both cases, I just bought new albums and collected the newer "better" stuff separately.

I stopped hoarding Morgans a while ago. I notice that there is such a high demand that I could use the money to buy other coins. So I sold the Morgans.

Scott hi.gif

I'm a pack rat and keep EVERYTHING. I just found 4 40% silver Kennedies in some bank rolls, and though I have several (2 dozen?) in much better condition, I'm keeping these. If I upgrade - EXCEPT for modern series - I keep the one I had before.

My thinking is that I don't NEED the money now, so there's no point in selling them, especially when they could command a better price in the future.

No, thank goodness. insane.gif

There's not much reason to sell unless and until you want to. Still, dropping a duplicate into the market occasionally makes me a smarter buyer.

No, thank goodness. insane.gif

There's not much reason to sell unless and until you want to. Still, dropping a duplicate into the market occasionally makes me a smarter buyer.

Gz, Lu, r u sayin im not dat brite?

Chris

I'll come clean...I've been collecting for well over a decade and I have NEVER sold a single coin. Pick your title...pack rat, hoarder, OCD... however I spend a lot of time buying coins I really enjoy to look at. Even junk pieces.

Selling is not an option. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I used to, but then I bought into the box of 20 concept and sold off everything. My box was quite nice but I sold all the gold to help buy a DSLR and car. So now my box is mostly $400-700 value per coin. And it isn't quite 20 again yet. More like 10.

My only regret is not waiting longer before selling my gold.

I'm too much of a sentimentalist when it comes to some of my coins.

The family has designated me as the "heir" to their hoards or collection of coins that struck their fancy and that they pulled from circulation. My grandmother had coin purses and coin holder that the family kept intact after she died in 1960. I have these items and don't feel that I can part with them. They are like miniature time capsules. She also had other coins that she culled from circulation such as Barber coinage. These I could part with but there are so many in AG-VG condition that I might as well keep them and assemble a year set for this series.

Then there is the brimming envelope of cents that my father put away for me at work since he knew I collected them. The day after he died suddenly at age 46 a co-worker brought the envelope to me and tole me where it came from. How could I possibly get rid of that?

The above examples will remain part of my "permanent" collection. Then there are the coins that I have purchased or acquired. I have no qualms about trading or selling these as part of my active collecting. Yet, even if I had to sell off my collection, there are some of these coins that I would save and distribute to my children for them to have such as commemorative half dollars from states where they were born or we have lived. I might even keep one or two myself "for old time sake" wink.gif

It sounds like you are a hoarder Chris! I don't think there's anything wrong with that smile.gif

Who knows, maybe one day it will be known as the "CHOO CHOO" HOARD !

Chris