• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A 1905 DDR Indian Head Cent maybe? Help me out with your opinions.

6 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Just received this 1905 Indian Head Cent and look what is on the reverse. I feel this is a DDR but none shows for 1905 in the Cherrypickers guide--only a 1865 and 1870 show to have DDR. I checked my other two 1905's both unc(doggone it) and the ONE CENT is pristine on both. I changed the lighting and direction and the doubling still appears. This coin is EF to AU. What do you think-am I wrong? onecentddr.jpg

It looks like what is commonly called Longacre doubling since it is seen on some coins designed/engraved by James Longacre. This would not be a DDR.

Thanks Tom, but I thought that Longacre Doubling stopped in 1886 when engraver Charles E. Barber added the motto to the master hub? This is 1905-must be the same effect though as it does completely surround the letters. Maybe an engraver on a later hub copied the style.

Thanks again--I just didn't realize that it continued after 1886. I've thought that for a long time. foreheadslap.gif

Jim

I'm not aware of an exact date for the ending of Longacre doubling, but the images you have shared, which are actually very good, show apparent lower relief shelf-like doubling within both sides of the inside of the O, on both sides of the upright of the E and generally all around every side of each letter. A doubled die would show split serifs, a secondary image that would be essentially the same relief as the primary image and would appear only on one side of each letter. By the way, this can also be called machine doubling or mechanical doubling, I believe.