• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bid/Ask on a Shield Nickel: 1867 w/ Rays

8 posts in this topic

My local B&M shop has a nickel I'm looking at for my type set...1867 Shield with Rays. It looks to be in XF45-AU condition...anyone know what bid/ask is?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response... Does anyone know this series well? From what I read it appears that these suffered from weak strikes due to the hardness of the nickel planchets. The 1868 Shield in my type set has all sorts of die cracks...does the "Rays" variety also have such cracks?

Thanks

Leo

Thanks for the quick response... Does anyone know this series well? From what I read it appears that these suffered from weak strikes due to the hardness of the nickel planchets. The 1868 Shield in my type set has all sorts of die cracks...does the "Rays" variety also have such cracks?

Thanks

Leo

The "Rays" variety will tend to have even more cracks than the "No Rays" variety. Weak strikes are also common.

If you are doing only a type set, an 1866WR might cost you significantly less than an 1867WR.

Howard

ShieldNickels.Net

The rays complicated the quality of the strike of these coins for both dates, and as mentioned, they are plagued by die-cracks, poor die alignment and miserable luster. Since you are doing a typeset, I would think you'll want a NICE one, and expect to pay well over sheet for one. I never see 1867s offered for bid.

If you are doing only a type set, an 1866WR might cost you significantly less than an 1867WR.

Most type collectors seek a '66, and the demand puts quite a bit of pressure on that date. So, while '67 w/ rays are somewhat more expensive than '66, I think that a '67 w/ rays is often the better buy. The difference in price between the two is less than the relative scarcity of '67 w/ rays suggests it should be.

I never see 1867s offered for bid.

The 1867 I'm looking at has about 3/4 of the upper lines of the shield bold. I thought this might be due to weakness of strike. The fields appear clean with minimal hits and there's slight rub on the reverse leaves. I think this piece would grade XF. If the line weakness is due to strike could it go higher?? The seller has $180 on it. From what I've seen on Heritage and by following eBay transactions, this doesn't appear to be way out of line for this piece.

Thanks for all of your help... Leo