• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My experience with whitman folders

13 posts in this topic

I recently got access to my wife's piggy bank from when she was a kid and ended up with some rather nice nickels from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s and even some pretty nice ones from the early 40s. That made me start thinking about the two whitman nickel folders I had from the mid-80s and I decided to pick up a dansco jefferson album and try and finish the set from circulation.

I hadn't really cracked the nickel album but once or twice over the last 15 years, but when the dansco arrived, I started trying to pop the nickels out to transfer them. To my frustration, I found that almost every single nickel - even the silver ones - had developed a crusty green corrosion around the edges, visible once the coins were pushed (with some difficulty) out of the holes in those bloody Whitman folders. Those folders have been with my other folders indoors and dry since I started the collection and they apparently damaged my coins to the extent to where they're now placeholders until I can replace them.

I just thought I'd mention that to anyone who might be interested. Just another reason why I hate Whitman. And as an aside, the whitman people were rude to me at the show in Charlotte to boot (not about this).

Michael, I wouldn't use the "infected" coins as placeholders. They could transfer some of the scuz to the album you plan to keep and then "infect the new tenant" with the same malady. I would remove them to an isolation ward..........like........maybe........a quart of Valvoline.

Chris

Crud. I didn't think of that. I'll have to lose them then. Maybe I'll take them to the next coin show and toss them at the Whitman table while chanting my complaints.

Crud. I didn't think of that. I'll have to lose them then. Maybe I'll take them to the next coin show and toss them at the Whitman table while chanting my complaints.

ahhhhee ahheeee I think its called CREEPING CRUD ... Dont they make a shot for that smile.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Dang, Whitman has certainly been a pain your hind parts!

I'm glad that I have stuck with Dansco. Based upon your experience, I will never go Whitman!

I have Two Whitman Supreme Albums

The Silver Eagles are toning similar to the Danscos

The Roosevelt Dimes are have some unattractive things happen - I will try to post pictures later...

m

The Dansco nickel album is a fine one - and the Jefferson set a fine set. I finished my collection middle of last year, a large percentage from circulation. You may have a tough time finding the 39-D and 50-D in circulation, but the rest won't be too hard.

Good luck!

Don't blame it on Whitman. Many, many manufactureres of coin FOLDERS don't care about the coins, only the profit of selling them. Have you noticed the massive amounts of folders out there for the state quarters by companies that never made a coin holder previously? Whitman as well as all of them have a process where they have to place a cardboard piece with slots on a solid piece of paper and in massive amounts to appease the populace. The only way this can be done easily is to spread the glue on the entire sheets and slam them together so to speak. naturally regardless of which side is glued much of the glue is in the slot. Now comes the coin collector that presses the coins into the slots with thier thumbs full of oils and acids and sometimes part of thier lunch. If they had eggs for breakfast, that is even worse. Why some of those slots are to big or the coin is to worn so it's obvious the smart thing to do is wet the coin with spit and now since there is that nice glue already there, the wet coins will stick to the slot. Gee! I wonder why some coins get all messed up in those things.

I used to do exactly that way, way back and some of those coins come out with the paper still stuck to the back of the coins.

Since then I switched to the Whitman Classic Albums with removable pages and for about 30 or so years now no problems of any kind.

Whitman is on my bad side for a number of different reasons. Can't say as I've ever licked a coin to stick 'er in real good. It's likely the cardboard they use on those folders that's at fault.

The way you described it, I am not sure if you are talking about the tri-fold folder or an older album. I've had problems with a old Whitman Deluxe album. The set of Mercs in them were soaked in olive oil for over a month then put into a sonic jewelry cleaner with distilled water to break off the crud. But the folders I have from my youth (early 1970s) and the 1980s era Whitman Classic albums have had no problems.

I will not argue with you about Whitman. With the exception of meeting Ken Bressett at their booth, I have not been happy with a lot of Whitman's products, inclduing their albums--which I used ot be a fan of. I tried to discuss this with them and they gave me the "go away, you're bothering me" attitude. So I bought a Littleton Album for American Silver Eagles to see how I like it. So far, so good!

Scott hi.gif

That was the same attitude I got at the coin show.

Anyway, to clarify, I was talking about the trifold coin folder. The coins were just stuff I pulled from circulation as a kid, but I'm still rather cheesed at the lack of thought that went into the product, even if it wasn't meant for really nice coins or anything.

I've had mixed success with Whitman products in general. I have one of their Delux Albums for my IHC collection (Circulated pieces) and they seem to be doing OK. On the other hand, my Lincoln Cents in Whitman folders suffered the green crud as well. These were all pieces I gathered from circulation going on 40 years ago and would grade MS65 or so if not for the green corrosion. Oh well!!!

L