• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yes, one more bust half for the moment

14 posts in this topic

How about this gorgeous 1827 bust half? What grade and value would you place on this coin. I see nothing wrong with it but then that's why I ask you.

Jim 1827_50c_NNC_404.jpg

Looks like an O-123. I would guess it to be an AU-55, assuming everything is kosher with the surfaces of the coin. Has potential. Because it is raw and you only have a photo to go by, I think that I would be hesitant to pay more than $220 for it.

Looks AU58 to me as NOT all the high point are rubbed.

I dont like the scratch between the chin and the stars.

Be leary of NNC holders as they are often cleaned and retoned OR

damaged. The scratch may be deeper than it appears

That being said I think it is a Nice example and am thinking about it myself as I dont own any smile.gif ( For informational purposes it is in a NNC MS62 holder )

Well, jgrinz

Have at it. Someone stole my highest bid so I'll let this one slide. Good luck to all who bid on it. I personally really liked this coin, but it is obviously going out of my price range.

Just keep looking Jim you will fine the right capped bust half for you. If I were you I would stay away from lower tier graded bust halves. Why? Because these coins not only have problems you can see but have problems you can only see when they are broken out of the holder. Such as bent, etc. I have found some good prices on Ebay on ANACS, No Problems, graded bust halves. You just have to look, look and look again.

Well, jgrinz

Have at it. Someone stole my highest bid so I'll let this one slide. Good luck to all who bid on it. I personally really liked this coin, but it is obviously going out of my price range.

Nope decided not to so it wasn't I ... Didn't want to spend that much for one

I may have been sad but I was prepared to bid $250 for the coin. I still think it is beautiful but certainly not a $400+ coin. You are right 123 the buyer will not be happy for long, but I am. yay.gif

Jim

Ignorance may be bliss, but not for long.

My advice is don't buy nnc or whatever it is for the reasons mentioned. I mean ask WHY would a coin be in an nnc holder (or whatever it's called). I took a chance on one that had a return policy and as soon as I actually saw it I knew it had altered surfaces.

There are a lot of PCGS and NGC graded Bust halve on ebay that look great and sell for decent prices, so I would go that route, unless you want to take a chance, but you should have a real reason to take a chance. Don't take a chance because a coin just looks good. Take a chance if your'e advanced and you find something scare or rare and it's raw, so you buy it.

Like I said, there are many, many nice busties on ebay in pcgs and ngc holders where the chances of getting screwed are less (though still possible)....but a lot less than going any other route, I think.

edited to add: I took a chance on a raw 1827 curled base 2 that turned out ok. Just recently a pcgs 1827 curled base 2 showed up on ebay pcgs ef45 sold for just over $200. Whoever got it got a real bargain and a great coin for a lot less than what it was really worth...amazing...on ebay no less.

$464 is definitely too much - but not to the extent that others have stated. I think it's at least a $300 coin. I'd only be around AU-50 on the grade, though. Provided the images were'nt hiding anything, it's a lovely coin.