• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just won this Shield. cannot find a match in Cherrypicker ?

26 posts in this topic

hi.gif I dont seem to be able to find it in the Cherrypickers guide

1704371-35co.jpg

IIB or not IIB that is the Question (Willam shakespear) 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

1704371-35cr.jpg

hi.gif

1704371-35cr.jpg.c8d89d7dce82a785acd31187ba49dcc2.jpg

Since there are about 600 documented shield nickel varieties, only 100 of which appear in CPG, it's not surprising that you can't find your coin in CPG.

Your coin catalogs as S2-1010 (SNV) and 42-O-IV (CONECA).

Howard

ShieldNickels.Net

Hi there thanks for the information I will have to get a better book!!

i had a look on the nickel link you posted.. please ecuse my thickness but when i found S2 1010 it said it was with the rev: of 1867 IIa not rev: 1868 IIb as my coin seems to be poke2.gif.. Sorry if i am being thick.. confused-smiley-013.gif I am English and a Northen one at that insane.gif

Hi there thanks for the information I will have to get a better book!!

i had a look on the nickel link you posted.. please ecuse my thickness but when i found S2 1010 it said it was with the rev: of 1867 IIa not rev: 1868 IIb as my coin seems to be poke2.gif.. Sorry if i am being thick.. confused-smiley-013.gif I am English and a Northen one at that insane.gif

1868 S2-1010 comes with reverse IIb. The "S2" part of the designation, in fact, means reverse IIb.

Perhaps you were looking at a different coin on the website. If you will post the link of the page you were looking at I could tell.

Regards,

Howard

P.S. There is no book that documents this variety. "S2-1010" is the designation from a computer-based attribution program that I've produced. There is no book covering CONECA attributions (I'm working on incorporating them into SNV, though).

hi.gif thanks for that..S2 = IIb got it makepoint.gif

I was looking at Shield nickle Variety population which listed 1868R67 S1 1010 which was the closest i could find. there was a S2 1011 but no S2 1010 listed so i gess that means no one has sent one in!

As for the program i tried to download it last night and all i got was a load of code!

Thanks dooly hi.gif

hi.gif thanks for that..S2 = IIb got it makepoint.gif

I was looking at Shield nickle Variety population which listed 1868R67 S1 1010 which was the closest i could find. there was a S2 1011 but no S2 1010 listed so i gess that means no one has sent one in!

As for the program i tried to download it last night and all i got was a load of code!

Thanks dooly hi.gif

1868 S1-1010 is a different variety. You can't choose "the closest one" - the attribution has to match exactly.

1868 S2-1010 does not appear in the pop. report because nobody reported owning one. However, I know of one club member who owns one (the one who sent me the coin to photograph).

When you downloaded the trial program, yes, you got a bunch of code. It is the installer for Windows for SNV. SNV is a computer program that you must install in order to use. Just double-click the installer if you are using a Windows machine. Send me email if you are using a Mac. howard@sci1.com

Thanks skippy i will give it another go

I am well pleased that it is "quite an unusual coin" hope it arrives safely from the USA now !! hi.gif

Thanks skippy i will give it another go

I am well pleased that it is "quite an unusual coin" hope it arrives safely from the USA now !! hi.gif

Nearly all shield nickel varieties are "unusual coins"!

Thanks skippy i have downloaded your work headbang.gifIt rocks headbang.gif

I am going to send the 68 and some other Shield varieties over to NGC and see what they come up with should be fun..

Dooly - NGC usually assigns the variety number they think is closest to the correct one selected among the varieties they are willing to attribute. (Same thing for all the other TPGs - no one does shield nickel varieties correctly.)

For example, the 1868 I attributed for you is not one of the varieties that NGC attributes. So I don't know what they will put on the slab, because the correct attribution is not in their catalog.

I'm about to be announced as the shield nickel attributor for PCI, so if you want a TPG to get the attribution right you have your best shot at PCI.

If you just want to know what varieties you have and plastic isn't important, you can either acquire the full copy of SNV and attribute them yourself or just email me photos and I'll do my best to tell you what you have. But you'll have to be able to take closeup photos.

I'm not pushing PCI on you - I may be able to tell you your varieties for free if you can furnish good enough photos.

Skippy, I'm not trying to change the subject, but I'm supposed to get together with JT at the Clearwater (FL) Show in July. Will you be there, too? We're going to play some pool one evening.

Chris

hi.gif This is what coin collecting is all about hi.gif

Thanks skippy thats lots for me to think about..

#1 Who/What is PCI

# I would love the full SNV

# I have a pant's camara so could i get the coin/s conserved and send them to you so you can get the best pictures..

All the best dooly hi.gif

Skippy, I'm not trying to change the subject, but I'm supposed to get together with JT at the Clearwater (FL) Show in July. Will you be there, too? We're going to play some pool one evening.

Chris

Regrettably, Florida is about as far away from me as you can get and still be in the U.S. I'm in Oregon. I've never even made it to FUN.

Too bad, pool sounds fun. Maybe some other time.

Howard

hi.gif This is what coin collecting is all about hi.gif

Thanks skippy thats lots for me to think about..

#1 Who/What is PCI

# I would love the full SNV

# I have a pant's camara so could i get the coin/s conserved and send them to you so you can get the best pictures..

All the best dooly hi.gif

Glad to help, Dooly.

PCI is a third party grader. They've been around for a while. JT Stanton just took over there, and will be upgrading their services.

Contact me offline regarding SNV: howard@sci1.com

There may not be a need to send me your coins - send me photos first (use the email address above), and I'll see if I can attribute from the photos.

Howard

You can't choose "the closest one" - the attribution has to match exactly.[/quote}

Sure he can, proves he's qualified to work for one of the major TPG's

Thanks for that i will send you some scans when the coin arives

my other problem coin is NGCd at the moment but i needs to be conserved (Greasy) and my scanner cannot take pics of it..

all the best dooly hi.gif

i have tried your email for the SVN but nothings happning 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i have tried your email for the SVN but nothings happning 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have not received any email from you. If you typed the email address in manually, try clicking on the link above instead - you may have mistyped the address.

Howard

P.S. Or go to ShieldNickels.Net and use any of the contact links for me there.

hi.gif there Skippy tried again to send you a message last night with my new Shield i have just recived from France

Looks like Mechanical doubling still a nice looking Item ?

1714103-1867dd.jpg1714103-1867r.jpg

1714103-1867cd.jpg1714103-1867a.jpg

1714103-1867r.jpg.c8a150f5de6673548fe09684860c35af.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gifWahay i got one right 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have disabled my spam blocker and i will try to email you again in the morning

1714682-1.jpg

1714682-1.jpg.e957385ce6c899506476bc545e2ed055.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gifWahay i got one right 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have disabled my spam blocker and i will try to email you again in the morning

1714682-1.jpg

Are all Brits known for doing strange things to avoid getting speeding tickets?

Chris

hi.gif Old ford never die they just get slower 893applaud-thumb.gif

The 1868 i started this post about landed in the UK today.. What a nice seller he gave me my change in 90% silver half dollar

Hear are some closer pictures of it (i have darkend the scans)

1720578-1868.jpg1720578-1868r.jpg

bumpit.gif

1720578-1868oo.jpg1720578-186800r.jpg

bumpit.gif

1720578-1868ld.jpg1720578-1868dl.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

1720578-1964.jpg

hi.gif

1720578-1964.jpg.fafdc3adb8967cbe6ff8c833abfbddd7.jpg