• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Indian Head Cents

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a book available regarding identification and verification of proof IHC's. I would like to have a copy if one exists.

Thanks

Jim

Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Proof Coins (1722-1989) has information on all the proofs including this series. Although some of the information provided in this reference has since been called into question, I still find it a great source of info.

Rick Snow's Vol 2 FE&IHC Attribution Guide also has detailed information on IHC proofs. It is available here:

http://www.indiancent.com/book.html

However, I think you will find both references less than satisfying to your thirst for IHC proof knowledge -- I know they were for me. To wit, I think you will also find the high resolution photos available at Heritage, as well as the opinions of fellow numismatists on this forum, to be the most valuable resources available.

Hope this helps...Mike

I've heard of a reference book for IHC generally but I do not know if it covers proofs in the detail you want. You could check with the ANA or ANS libraries if you are a member or with the ANA MarketPlace or Stack's coins if you want to buy one.

I do not collect these but this series is a good choice. I especially like cameo proofs.

the all time best out there is the flying eagle and indian heas cent book

a thick soft cover blue book written by q david bowers and with assistance by rick snow like 12 years ago this book is a must MUST.......................

good luck finding it

it is easier to find and buy a 1913 lib head nick or 1804 dollar than this book