• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1855 arrows seated liberty half dollar that is very PL

19 posts in this topic

normally I'll xitch and complain that I can't get the color of the coin well, because of reflection off the holder. But this beautiful little Seated Lib is really really interesting. I think. It could be because I don't know much about them, but to me, if the light is right, it is a highly mirrored coin. I was shocked.

I don't see how it could be a proof because of the poor strike up of the stars e.g., but otherwise, the services are well mirrored.

I tried damned hard to photograph this convincingly and the only way I could do it was sit the camera on a tirpod, fix the position of the light, and move the slab sround freehand. Still, it is just not showing up right. I've included pics with bits of the holder so you'll see how the light bulb glare or reflection interferes with the imaging of this proofile surface, but I'[ll show you what I got:

in fact, as I look at them again, I see how I clearly missed the PL nature of this metal. It's really amazing. Is this solery thru die lapping? or is it a proof with a lousy strike?

1698857-DSCN0031_edited.JPG

1698860-DSCN0027_edited.JPG

Mike, Let me say that this coin is the single most attractive Liberty Seated Coin of any denomination I have ever witnessed. Regardless of whether it is an MS or PF strike it should be held in AWE! I thought in my 50 years of viewing coins that I had seen and owned beautiful Liberty Seated Halves but none to compare to this coin. There is something that draws one to it. Great purchase. Watch your back. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Jim

That is an exceptional specimen! I always thought PL coins came from the first few strikes with brand new dies.

The coin looks to be a business strike.

The 'O' mintmark kinda gave that away. makepoint.gif

cool.gif

TDN, when/if you have a lot of time AND I have a lot of patience (a highly unlikely event), I can teach you about branch mint proof coins. bumpit.gif

Mike,

As you progress with your seated collection (and give me your bust collection since obviously you don't want it anymore wink.gif) you will find that reasonably PL examples are available for most dates...in fact, from the late 70's/early 80's on they almost seem to be the normal look. (This is also the case with quarters although they are scarer than halves for the early dates)

There are a few business strike halves and quarters in top level TPG holders actually marked as proofs rather than PL.

The coin looks to be a business strike. I have seen a few Proof examples of that type and they were quite convincing as such.

Could you tell me what in particular about the coin leads you to understand it as a business strike, and has there ever been an 1855-O proof?

Also, what criteriae are used to label a coin as PL?

Can you have any cartwheeling in a PF?

The coin looks to be a business strike. I have seen a few Proof examples of that type and they were quite convincing as such.

Could you tell me what in particular about the coin leads you to understand it as a business strike, and has there ever been an 1855-O proof?

Also, what criteriae are used to label a coin as PL?

Can you have any cartwheeling in a PF?

Mike, I'm about to go catch a plane to Charlotte, but briefly...

The proof 1854-1855 Arrows coins I have seen displayed wholly prooflike surfaces (including, as TDN mentioned, within the shield stripes on the reverse), squared edges, sharp lettering and a superior strike compared to business strikes. I am not aware of any O-mint Proofs of the type, though I believe there is an S-mint piece or two of the half and/or quarter.

Regarding the PL designation - I have found it to be inconsistent, though the examples I have seen appeared to be more reflective than what I can see in your images.

I don't know what it is about this series and the corresponding dollars, but finding PL examples appears to be easier than with most other coinage. Of course, the late dated pieces from the 1870s-1890s that had miniscule mintages have a relatively high rate of PL examples, but I have also seen a fair number of coins from the early and mid-1840s with the same characteristics. By the way, I like your coin.

I do not know about the Seated Lib. half dollars but circulation strike dimes during that same era were often struck with proof dies (i.e. 1860 dimes). Also, New Orleans often received used dies from other mints which, in combination with the N.O. Mint's (already noted) poor planchet drawing (hardness) preparation, often resulted in softer strikes. Only an estimated (15) proofs were struck in 1855 which means these proof dies may have been punched with an "O" mintmark and used for business strikes. This is all strictly conjecture. Someone else may have additional information.

Hi Mike - I fiddled around with the photo a bit on my screen. From what I can tell, the coin does not look like a branch mint proof, and I do not have the proper references with me to look up that year for such pieces. The coin, to me, looks like a nice business strike, with excellent toning. What you describe just sounds like a PL piece, likely from a well polished die, but perhaps additionally from a burnished planchet.

Hoot