• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1940 Winged Liberty Dime - opinions

5 posts in this topic

I thought I'd go ahead and share another of my recent acquisitions with y'all. I got this one from thebeav here on the board (great, easy transaction, BTW).

I would grade this a MS-65, perhaps higher except for a few small contact marks that slightly interrupt the luster at the rear base of Liberty's bust and to the right of the lower quarter of the torch. Other than those, the coin shows almost no other hits of any size, just some teeny-tiny ones from immediately post-minting. There are a few random hairlines on the obverse, which I do not think are the results of cleaning, but rather due to storage. They're almost unnoticeable unless you're magnifying the coin, and even then, they don't hurt the eye-appeal at all, IMO.

Opinions, thoughts? Wish I could provide a huge photo, but I think this one represents the coin well. If anything, the coin's brighter. It's really a lovely coin. Enjoy!

1697659-010-0036.jpg

1697659-010-0036.jpg.bfe14bcb0dc025f6465542b2bf6d875e.jpg

Hmm, I got one of those, but mine looks like it has one of those pesky S's on the back.

I am leary of grading yours based to the photo alone. Its seems like it could be AU55 - MS65. Weak strike, wear or photo lighting, hard to say.

1940SMercOBV.jpg

1940SMercREV.jpg

MS67FB

Nice luster and strike

Oops, you're correct jgrinz, but no I didn't want to hijack the thread. foreheadslap.gif Pen is it possible for you to get a bigger/better shot of your 10c lady?