• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auctions for these never cease to amaze me..

7 posts in this topic

I have a morbid curiosity for all things dated 1793, so I followed this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300087865925&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

for an ANACS graded 1793 Wreath in PO1. This coin is about as basal state as you can possibly get and still be able to ID the coin. So do you think it was worth the price or should the winning bidder have waited to get one in a tad bit better condition? Leo

I have a morbid curiosity for all things dated 1793, so I followed this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300087865925&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

for an ANACS graded 1793 Wreath in PO1. This coin is about as basal state as you can possibly get and still be able to ID the coin. So do you think it was worth the price or should the winning bidder have waited to get one in a tad bit better condition? Leo

Depends on the goal of the bidder. Is the bidder trying to get as high a grade specimen for a low price? Or is the bidder trying to get PO01s? Does "better condition" mean higher than basal state or PCGS PO01 wink.gif

This auction is for a 1793 left-facing Half cent, but in similar condition. Mintages for these pieces was around half that of the 1793 Wreath Cent. I don't know about surviving populations of these pieces.

I've seen both pieces go for about three times the hammer price of these in G4-VG condition. But for that amount of money you get something that has a full date and visible legends. One mans' treasure I suppose...

confused-smiley-013.gif

Leo

I've seen both pieces go for about three times the hammer price of these in G4-VG condition. But for that amount of money you get something that has a full date and visible legends. One mans' treasure I suppose...
Yep, full date and visible legends are probably negatives for the collectors bidding on these. The least amount of detail while still being able to make a positive identification could be what collectors are going for. I also wouldn't be surprised if the people collecting PO01s also collect much higher grades while avoiding many middle grades.

As with toning, errors and chop marks, there are people that can appreciate coins in many conditions smile.gif People even buy waffle canceled moderns at $50 a pop!