• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pricing on Gold Buffalos

4 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what a decent (for the buyer) price is for the following:

Gold Buffalos:

pcgs pf 70

ngc pf 70

pcgs ms 70

ngc ms 70

Thanks

-Mike

oh, I forgot, I'm assuming they are all pf dcam, or are they not?

edited again to add: I also forgot, first strikes.

I know this issue must have been belabored time and time again, but I never paid much attention to it because I never bought modern bullion...well, not never, but not since the whole first strike designation came about. I also barely know that there was this whole law suit thing and I never followed that either.

So could anyone please tell me in one paragraph or less what the ultimate verdict is? Can you actually tell the difference between 'first strikes' and the rest?

Are they worth the difference in price?

You cannot tell the difference between FIRST STRIKE or FIRST STRIKES designated pieces and regular label pieces of the same grade. Put another way, they're indistinguishable. Put yet another way, the designations are meaningless from any numismatic perspective other than marketing.

Read the discussion about this on the U.S Mint web site. Bottom line: The FIRST STRIKE and FIRST STRIKES designations bear no relationship whatsoever to the order in which coins came off the dies, as many die pairs will have been used to produce coins prior to initial release and during the designation eligibility period.

As to whether the designation is worth any premium, that decision is solely yours as a consumer.

Beijim