• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions wanted on this 1906 Proof Barber Half

13 posts in this topic

I was looking on the bay and came across this:

1906 Proof Barber

Several things about the picture don't look right for a proof espcially for price this high. On the obverse there looks to be some marks or hairlines around the neck and chin in the fields. On the reverse same thing above Half Dollar.

We have discussed this seller before...although they have some nice coins to offer, some have just be "fiddled" with to accentuate the coin and the images.

Think about this point...675 proof 1906 Barber halfs minted. Even at PR-65 do you not think this coin should/would have already been slabbed?

There are reasons most of these coins are raw, rejected by the grading services/low assigned grades (less value) and most importantly, YOU, the buyer think you are getting one heck of a deal!

No, Virginia, there is no Santa Clause in Numismnatics.

edit: I added this information so you can decide for yourself if the coin pictured in tha auction is a Proof-65.

Choice Proof ( Proof-65 )

This refers to a proof coin which may have a few very fine hairlines, generally from friction-type cleaning or drying after rubbing or dipping. To the unaided eye, it appears to be virtually perfect, but five power magnification reveals some minute lines.

Proof ( Proof-60 )

This designation refers to a proof with a number of handling marks and hairlines which are visible to the naked eye. The Intermediate Grade, Proof-63, is widely used to denote this condition.

if this coin was a person it would be someone 89 years of age in a coma with leporacy and near death from fourth stage cancer and kidney failure not expecting to live into the night

I think that the lighting is hiding many small scratched that would lower the value of the coin. You can see some of the scratches right next to Barber's nech and on the back under the eagle. Chances are there are more scratches than that, which are just hidden beneath the light.

I think that the lighting is hiding many small scratched that would lower the value of the coin. You can see some of the scratches right next to Barber's nech and on the back under the eagle. Chances are there are more scratches than that, which are just hidden beneath the light.
\

You have that right Bigman, you can see that the coin has been tilted as so not to show the scratches. Also, the coin looks like it has had an intense cleaning to some sort.

As woodenjefferson said, a coin like that should be in a slab, not raw.

If you want a raw coin of this issue? Why not just buy a slabbed one and crack it out? This coin is not rare and you should be able to find another one without a problem and a specimen without problems. Heritage lists nine sales alone in 2006 with a PR-61 at $488 and a PR-63 at $800.

I have one of these in PC 5. It 's an expensive coin and they don't come nice very often. I would NEVER buy one of these raw. From what I can see, the thing is hairlined to death and looks cleaned, which is probably why it is being sold raw.

Even in 5, you will see a few hairlines on a PF Barber Half. I'd tell you to get one with no problems at whatever grade suits you, or pass. I wouldn't pay melt for the one you linked.

if this coin was a person it would be someone 89 years of age in a coma with leporacy and near death from fourth stage cancer and kidney failure not expecting to live into the night

is that how you REALLY see it? sign-funnypost.gifinsane.gif

I'd stay away from that coin too. Looks like a train wreck. Artificially inseminated or something like that.

Mike, I don't think this coin was artificially inseminated. I think it's a PF Barber's version of a late term abortion.

893whatthe.gif

As the other collector mentioned...Run don't Walk away from this POS