• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is going to the ANA Money Show in Charlotte, NC? (March 16,17,18)

50 posts in this topic

OK guys,

I participate on a site called CruiseCritic.com which is pretty much just like this site but the topic is Cruise vacations, not coins (duh)

One thing that always happens is when people actually go on a cruise, on the first or second night, there is a Cruise Critic meet and greet where personalities from the board meet and have drinks. This has become such a wide-spread thing that the cruise companies have recognized it to the point that the reception is usually hosted by the ship and more often than not the Captian and other officers attend. I am the coordinator for the party on the sailing of the Norwegian Wind on the 24th.

My point is why don't we plan on meeting at a given place and time just to say howdy and put a face with the name.

I would suggest around mid-day on Saturday.

Hi. Is there anyone going tomorrow to look at Heritage`s lots for auction. I need someone with some knowledge of commems to look at 1 coin. I would like to get a bid in by tomorrow night. THANKS

Hi. Is there anyone going tomorrow to look at Heritage`s lots for auction. I need someone with some knowledge of commems to look at 1 coin. I would like to get a bid in by tomorrow night. THANKS

Didn't know it was open tomorrow. Isn't it dealers only?

You can go to lot viewing for Heritage`s sale. You can view them at the Charlotte Convention Center, 501 S College St. in Charlotte on Thursday 8AM to 7PM in room 203 B. This is from Heritage`s website. I love lot viewing, determines what I buy and what I skip. THANKS.

Tooooooo-morrow, tooomorrrow, the show is gonna start, tomorrrrow -- it's only a daaaay awayyyyyyy!

Try to get THAT out of your head!

yay.gif

OK guys,

I participate on a site called CruiseCritic.com which is pretty much just like this site but the topic is Cruise vacations, not coins (duh)

RATS! I was hoping it was a site where you could go and rant about Tom Cruise...

oh well, I have to keep waiting for one of those I guess...

OK guys,

RATS! I was hoping it was a site where you could go and rant about Tom Cruise...

oh well, I have to keep waiting for one of those I guess...

sign-funnypost.gif

actually, there IS a site for ranting about Tom Cruise....

yay.gifI Hate Tom Cruise .com yay.gif

On there you'll see two types of people.. The people who write in saying how much they love him, and people like me who tell the first group to go F themselves.

Earlier today I saw a commercial on TV (here in Charlotte) for the show!

They confirmed they will have "a real $100,000 bill" and the 1913 V Nickel, but you guys already knew that.

Damn, I keep thinking of things...

Guys, be careful about parking for the show. There is a company here in Charlotte called "Preferred Parking" that owns damned near every public lot in the uptown area. They have an unfortunate habit of towing people that have paid.

If you're coming in from out of town, I would suggest you leave your car at your hotel and walk or take 'the Gold Rush' which is the free trolley in the uptown area. Hotel concierge should be able to help you.

Also there is a change in the weather coming. Never mind that it's been in the high seventies and beautiful the past couple of days here. Never mind that it's supposed to be 80 and beautiful here today. Heavy Thunderstorms are predicted tonight/tomorrow bringing in a cold front...

Friday:high 62 with rain, low 32

Saturday: high 56, low 31

Sunday: high 56, low 36

ALSO: if you're flying into CLT especially on USAir/AmericaWest then you will want to be sure to do online check-in and print boarding pass for your RETURN flight. They are still having problems at the airport with the newly merged system.

**This message brought to you by a person who can look out the window by his cubicle and see the Charlotte Convention Center a block away**

Any parking hints for a rube from South Carolina that isn't staying at a hotel? I don't think I want to be towed for paying, that don't sound right...

I have also heard tell that there is a large St. Patty's Day thing going on downtown tomorrow, which should complicate things even further... but maybe the weather thing will keep that to a dull roar.

Well, you know those crazy Irish the'd party through fire and brimstone.

You should be OK parking in a garage as opposed to a lot. If you go south along College Street (the street the convention center is on) you'll pass at least three office building parking garages including the Wachovia building, Bank of America World Headquarters, etc. Typically the 'special event' rate is about $10 for the whole day on weekends. These same garages will cost you over $30 to park if you're coming tomorrow.

Parking on Friday could be problematic seeing how most of the parking will be occupied by 8:30 by people who work within a stone's throw of the Convention Center.

Of course I'm telling you all of this when the truth of the matter is I have no idea as to the parking at the Convention Center itself. I would assume they have a garage, but not sure.

If you're here for the weekend and decide to get away from the hustle of the show for a little while, you might want to take a walk up and down Tryon Street (runs one block parralel to College.) This was the original 'main drag' of hostoric Charlotte. Unfortunately, most of the old building are long since gone, but there are interesting bronze plates in the streets indicating interesting points such as the spot Jefferson Davis was standing when he learned Licoln had been shot.

I hope everyone enjoys visiting our beautiful city that General Cornwallis described as "a Hornet's Nest of Rebellion"

Thanks for the info, Wax!

I won't be there until about Lunch time on Friday, so maybe I will get lucky and catch someone fleeing work early... where do you park? Drat, forgot -- you are walking...

Saturday, I'll try the spots you mentioned...

We'll be escaping the Bourse for lunch on Saturday... I'm not buying any overpriced 90-year-old Black Diamond Buffalo Burgers with Nic-a-Date Sauce. (I'm assuming that the floor food at these things have silly Numismatic Names...)

Mercury Fries anyone? Walking Liberty Pretzels? Double Eagle Chicken Wings?

I could go on, but you get the idea... I should work in marketing, not IT.

I park in the Hearst building garage. When you look at the Charlotte skyline, it's the tall building that looks like it spreads-out at the top as opposed to the Bank of America Tower which is pointy at the top.

I will park there on Saturday when I come to the show because I have a monthly deal with them and won't have to pay.

Like I said on the weekend you should be able to park in any of those office tower garages for about $10.

ALSO: Second Street in Charlotte was recently renamed to Martin Luther King. This street runs with a block of the convention center so if you are using MapQuest or something like that you might get confused as the change just happend in January.

So just remember 2nd Street=Martin Luther King = 2nd Street.

Another note on uptown Charlotte directions: the numbered streets ascend/descend as you would expect BUT there is an extra street, Tryon, in between 4th and 5th.

So it goes...

1st

Martin Luther King (formerly 2nd)

3rd

4th

Tryon

5th

6th

7th

Odd numbers run one-way Eastbound, even run one-way Westbound.

The intersection of Trade and Tryon is ZERO North/South/East/West so address numbers increase from that point in each direction. If you're framilliar with Madison and State in Chicago it's the same thing.

For those of you coming on Friday, Try to avoid interstate traffic during normal rush hour. It's worse here than you might expect for a city of this size.

I thought I was going, but now I have mono. frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

-Amanda

Who's the guy? wink.gif

Sorry to hear you are sick. I speak from deep experience when I say mono is NO FUN! Get lots of sleep. You will need it.

Wheeeee Doggie! Carpe Coinum Diem!

Headin' out in about an hour or so, puts me in Charlotte about 10am -- gonna let the traffic die down a little since it is nasty rainy this morning.

Hope to see some of you there! I'll be the dude waving a Bearded Goddess around being chased by members of the Capped Bust Half Nut Club.

...and an update...

The ANACS XF45 (Cleaned) Bearded Goddess went at $3,450 (w/bp) last night in Heritage's sale in Charlotte.