• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1856 cent - an uncommonly choice piece

44 posts in this topic

...through the roof and into orbit! That is everything I would want in a large cent.

Since Mark Feld was wondering about those of us who liked the coin a lot, I'll elaborate on my opinion. Certainly, I agree that there are better examples of this coin out there. That's not the point (with me at least). My gut feeling upon seeing the coin was that I immediately liked it a lot. It has nice, clean surfaces, what is - to my eye - a nice strike, particularly in Liberty's hair, and the color (at least on this monitor) hits a particular wavelength that pleases my eye immensely. Overall, it's perhaps not the technical details of this particular coin that makes me like it, so much as the emotional-based eye appeal that the piece has for me. Everything on that particular coin falls into place to make it attractive to me. I can't speak for everyone else. I'm sure even more attractive coins than this one exist. But I stand by my original comment that this is what I would want in a large cent in my own collection.

Below is my own F-12 example, currently all that my modest budget will provide. One day it will be upgraded. After all, I'm only 24 - I've got time.

1689759-001-0002.jpg

1689759-001-0002.jpg.c0e035e2b0829242e397d0562b6d2164.jpg

...through the roof and into orbit! That is everything I would want in a large cent.

Since Mark Feld was wondering about those of us who liked the coin a lot, I'll elaborate on my opinion. Certainly, I agree that there are better examples of this coin out there. That's not the point (with me at least). My gut feeling upon seeing the coin was that I immediately liked it a lot. It has nice, clean surfaces, what is - to my eye - a nice strike, particularly in Liberty's hair, and the color (at least on this monitor) hits a particular wavelength that pleases my eye immensely. Overall, it's perhaps not the technical details of this particular coin that makes me like it, so much as the emotional-based eye appeal that the piece has for me. Everything on that particular coin falls into place to make it attractive to me. I can't speak for everyone else. I'm sure even more attractive coins than this one exist. But I stand by my original comment that this is what I would want in a large cent in my own collection.

Below is my own F-12 example, currently all that my modest budget will provide. One day it will be upgraded. After all, I'm only 24 - I've got time.

1689759-001-0002.jpg

Thanks for more fully sharing your thoughts and feelings about the coin. That, alone, made my comments (and the ensuing discussion/debate) worth while, at least as far as I'm concerned. devil.gif

Hoot, I liked the description and information that you provided about the coin, as well as the coin, itself. And, you didn't hype it, either. But, as I mentioned previously, I was admittedly perplexed by some of the replies. I posted what I did in part, because I was and am open to hearing about and understanding the reasons behind them.

By the way, I appreciate a nice looking BN example just as much as or more than a RB or RD one.

Here's an NGC MS64RB which I think has a nice look to it, from the images, at least - I'm guessing that it is a bit darker in person:

AN07048042-oz.jpg

AN07048042-rz.jpg

Edited to add: I disagree regarding whether questioning other responses can be constructive. In my opinion, if we merely agree or disagree about coins, etc. without stating our reasoning, (and/or asking questions of others) we don't have the opportunity to learn nearly as much.

I still don't understand why you posted this coin.

It's poorly struck, has questionable toning spots (?beginning of corrosion) to the upper left of the coronet. There's a big blotch of yellowish I don't know what to the lower right. I can't believe this is in a 64 holder. devil.gif

This is the fifth time I have opened this thread to read it, but only the first time that I have actually had a chance to look at it! frustrated.gif

In my opinion, the coin that Hoot has posted is gorgeous and I write that because it appears to have a mossy, glowing patina and a better strike, even keeping in mind the coronet deficiencies, than I usually encounter. The eye appeal is significant, too, because of the way the two-tone dirt and oxidation has given depth to the devices, the beauty of the original design and the fact that after 150+ years apparently no one has boinked Ms Liberty. In my book, that is cool! thumbsup2.gif

The take-home message to me, being a geek scientist and reading the thread of another geek scientist, can be shown in Hoot's words below-

The most uncommon pieces of this die marriage are those of die state "a" that has a faint line leading up from the chin into the field (a die scratch or impression) and a faint line below the lower end of the 8. Die state "b" does not have either of these traits and has a distinct weakness in the tip of Liberty's coronet, making the upper ends of the letters LIB weak. The interesting thing about the coin I picked up is that it shows intermediate characteristics of the die states, with the line faintly from the chin but no line under 8, which makes it slightly less common than the average "b" example; the tip of the coronet and LI is weak.

The interpretation of the above, as written from one geek scientist to another geek scientist, is below-

Die states are analog and not digital.

grin.gif

The interpretation of the above, as written from one geek scientist to another geek scientist, is below-

grin.gif

I sure do love Geeks, nerds, and the like. My favorite TV character is Gil Grissom on CSI. I'd even look like him if I weighed 40 pounds more. tongue.gif

Tom hit the take-home of my initial post right on the head (in addition to liking the coin for its conditional state), and Michael, lkenefic, CC and Mike K. share my enthusiasm for the coin. Thanks.

Hoot

Tom hit the take-home of my initial post right on the head (in addition to liking the coin for its conditional state), and Michael, lkenefic, CC and Mike K. share my enthusiasm for the coin. Thanks.

And Vic is just chopped liver... sorry.gif

sumo.gif

wink.gif

sumo.gif

wink.gif

I prefer to thinking of it as being stuck on hind teat...at least your still attached and quietly drug along. smirk.gif

sumo.gif

wink.gif

I prefer to thinking of it as being stuck on hind teat...at least your still attached and quietly drug along. smirk.gif

Oh no! I simply have no great memory. Victor, WJ, and everyone else who took the time to compliment made me feel more at ease.

sorry.gif

Hoot

grin.gif

I sure do love Geeks, nerds, and the like. My favorite TV character is Gil Grissom on CSI. I'd even look like him if I weighed 40 pounds more. tongue.gif

Hoot

But I don't share your enthusiasm for Gil Grissom. What a nasty dude... screwy.gif