• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1809 Bust Half, what do you think the grade and OVERTON variety is?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, Fellow board members

I have added this 1809 Bustie to my CBH collection. smile.gif

Care to comment on the coin, the grade or OVERTON variety, thanks people.

AAJ

1809cbho.jpg

1809cbhr.jpg

O-111 R2: This marriage usually shows weak milling according to Overton. The pictured coin must be a fairly early DS. The very early DS, with full dentils both obverse and reverse, is possibly R4.

Looks like XF40 details, but those hairlines do show in the picture. This might be one not to submit to ANACS for fear they will give it a net grade. In the right atmosphere for a couple of years, the toning might cover the hairlines sufficiently to satisfy the grading services.

1809 CBHs in XF or better are hard to find.

I think Mozin said it all. I would think this is in the XF arena. The hairlines---well, it looks like (to my limited vision) that most Busties AU55 and below, are significantly hairlined. Hell, I've even seen MS Busties with hairlines. It's just so darned hard to find them without.

I had an AU53 Bustie, ANACS, very pretty but tilt it right and a plethora of hairlines. Sent it in to NGC and it came be AU55. Photograph it at the right angle and look ma....no hairlines!!!!

Tough call on that one. Send it in and see what happens.

Difficult coin to find nonetheless!

Is that already in a slab?

You must make a note that when a coin this old is all silvery, it has been cleaned in all likelyhood, either by a dip or other means. Then again, you may have a preference for coins being untoned. This coin is rather well struck, and appears to have some luster remaining. May even make xf 45 if it has only been properly dipped.

Hi, All

Thank you for the kind words towards my Bustie! cloud9.gif

I was trying to not say that the coin had already made it to a slab (NGC) but MBA101 saw right through that little trick! A NGC XF40!

Yes, I agree with everyone that this coin was dipped sometime in it's 198 year history. I took a harsh light picture to highlight the hairlines, the coin really does not show them in hand, see scan. The coin does have some nice mint luster present still along the stars. The reverse really doesn't show hairlines!

MikeKing wrote "Photograph it at the right angle and look ma....no hairlines!!!!"

Mozin wrote it beautifully: thumbsup2.gif

"O-111 R2: This marriage usually shows weak milling according to Overton. The pictured coin must be a fairly early DS. The very early DS, with full dentils both obverse and reverse, is possibly R4.

Looks like XF40 details, but those hairlines do show in the picture. This might be one not to submit to ANACS for fear they will give it a net grade. In the right atmosphere for a couple of years, the toning might cover the hairlines sufficiently to satisfy the grading services.

1809 CBHs in XF or better are hard to find. "

It is indeed an O-111! One reason I chose to add her to my collection is the nice dentils rims on this Overton variety. I know it is uncommon to have them.

I'm thrilled to have this old Bustie in my collection.

AAJ smile.gif

1809ngcxf40.jpg