• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1841 LC on eBay...opinions?

13 posts in this topic

Not being a Large Cent person(I have just a few) that is a gorgeous coin and should grade outlandish if not some sort of abherration. What a die crack!

Jes

The details are incredible but the luster is subdued. There is also a blue tint to it which could be from an old cyanide dip that old generation numismatists used to use. It's side effect was that it would give a bluish tint to the coin. This is noticable on alot of Large and Half Cent proofs. I still like the coin. thumbsup2.gif

I thought N-3 as well which ruled out a high R-value (I believe R-2). I thought it has Unc details, but the chatter on Liberys' neck, the gouge near star #3, the stuff going on near the "ONE" on the reverse, and the rim hits would have precluded it from just MS...I was thinking a net grade...hmmmmm

Very nice coin, doesn't look like a proof, N-3 fairly common variety.

I wasn't suggesting that it was a proof, just a color similarity. thumbsup2.gif

EZ_E...I've heard of alot of coloring techniques with copper but I've never heard of cyanide being used...can you elaborate here? I'm really curious about AT in copper [i miss some of dorkarls' posts ATS]...Thanks

Petite heads are definitely undervalued in today's price guides, so it wouldn't surprise me if a coin like this sold for a premium. They are quite tough to find with clean, corrosion-free surfaces and bold strikes. This coin looks like a commercial AU-55 (EAC VF-30) regardless of the color and a slight rim problem on the reverse.

EZ_E...I've heard of alot of coloring techniques with copper but I've never heard of cyanide being used...can you elaborate here? I'm really curious about AT in copper [i miss some of dorkarls' posts ATS]...Thanks

Actually, michael is the one to elaborate on this matter. Coin dips were limited in the old days and cyanide was one method used. As a matter of fact, there was a coin dealer who died in the 1950's from using this method. And, as mentioned, a cyanide dip left copper blue to some extent.

Actually, michael is the one to elaborate on this matter. Coin dips were limited in the old days and cyanide was one method used. As a matter of fact, there was a coin dealer who died in the 1950's from using this method. And, as mentioned, a cyanide dip left copper blue to some extent.

Strange. That shouldn't happen, unless some impurities are present. The cyanide anion complexes well with Ag+, Cu+, and Cu+2, and the complex ions formed are very soluble in water, and so basically the entire oxidation layer gets removed. It shouldn't (and from experience, doesn't) turn coins blue.

Strange. That shouldn't happen, unless some impurities are present. The cyanide anion complexes well with Ag+, Cu+, and Cu+2, and the complex ions formed are very soluble in water, and so basically the entire oxidation layer gets removed. It shouldn't (and from experience, doesn't) turn coins blue.

I'm sorry guys but I gave you mis-information. frown.gif

Ammonia, ms70 cleaner and care copper coin solution are what can turn copper blue, not cyanide (although cyano does mean blue). thumbsup2.gif