• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1862 Indian Head Cent Finish

5 posts in this topic

What's the deal with the finish on this coin---has it been dipped/polished/other or what? I have not seen this type finish on a CN coin, is it natural or touched up?

thanksJes 1862obvrev.jpg

I have a 1901 IHC that has the same type of finish.

I recently submitted it to PCGS, and, it was "body bagged' for "altered surface."

I still like the coin as it has great detail even if the surface was altered.

I tried to removed the extremely shinny surface with the use of Blue Ribbon. I did this after PCGS body bagged the coin. That appeared to help, but, it also gave the coin a "slight rainbow" effect on the surface.

I am also just carrying the coin around in my pocket (with no other coins, of course) in the hopes that over time (and probably a lot of it) the coin will return to it natural composition.

I am interested in the answers that come forward regarding this. I have two coins with the same type of finish/look that came back artificial color from NGC. An 1818 cent and an 1853 cent. They have been protected in a private collection for over 40 years so whatever was done to them was done a long time ago.

rbrown4