• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are coins in the old David Hall "Slabs" (pre-PCGS) safe from PVC damage?

14 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a Buffalo Nickel "slabbed" in one of the old David Hall holders. I think the holders are cool because the were a pre-cursor to the PCGS holders in that David Hall used the PCGS numbering system.

My concern is that the flip to the David Hall holder is the "soft" type that likely has PVC. However, the coin inside is encapsulated in one of those clear "cointain" type capsules, so the coin may be protected from PVC damage in the soft flip. However, I do not know if the capsule itself has PVC (it probably does not).

Has anyone heard of PVC damage from these old holders? If anyone knows I welcome your comments. Thanks! grin.gif

Here are pics of the coin:

37%20Buff%20DH%20Obv.jpg37%20Buff%20DH%20Rev.jpg

37%20Buff%20DH%20Flip%20Front.jpg37%20Buff%20DH%20Flip%20Backt.jpg

Kointains are PVC free and I have stored coins in Kointains and then within PVC flips for over a decade with no damage.

I would like one of those slabs but I have a concern. If put in my safety deposit box would it make the other coins argue with each other, or does the Hall holder declare itself King and there bye will them silent to its rule?

I would like one of those slabs but I have a concern. If put in my safety deposit box would it make the other coins argue with each other, or does the Hall holder declare itself King and there bye will them silent to its rule?

sign-funnypost.gif

From the other thread:

These flips are not PVC flips as far as I remember; they are more brittle. David Hall's sealed flips pre-date PCGS and NGC, however, ANACS was placing coins in flips for years previous to David Hall and these old ANACS flips were issued with an accompanying photo certificate. ANACS started to certify coins as genuine in the early 1970s and later added a grade to the certificates in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

Heh -- It's my coin -- I should have read some posts before starting my own thread here. The flip is actually very flexible and not brittle, so I suspect it has PVC. However, the coin inside is in a "cointain" capsule, which appears to be protecting it (no PVC damage that I can see). Since James has not cracked out the ones he owns, I presume his coins are OK as well.

Also . . . . 100!! Took me long enough! tongue.gif

I think it's important to clarify this. The David Hall flips ARE PVC FLIPS. Please be aware of this. However, the good news is that if you look carefully, the enclosed coins should be in airtight Kointains, and so are pretty well insulated against PVC damage. If you have expensive coins so holdered, you should indeed remove it from the Hall flips and get them into inert holders.

I've kept mine in the NIG flips since they are cheap, common coins.

Here's one of mine:

19371cDH.jpg19371cDH2.jpg

I've had several of these David Hall flips and haven't seen any with any signs of PVC damage. They've all been in these flips for over 25 years now so I'm not going to worry about it! I would also not recommend removing the coins from these sealed flips since there are many collectors out there who will pay significant premiums for these early holders.

roughly how much are these coins worth in these original holders?

The coins are generally very nice. However, their values are largely dependent upon how they would grade at a major grading company these days.

These come in different styles/generations, the brown flips harder to find and I believe are older than the blue flips. The style seemed to evolve towards the eventual PCGS numbering system (see 2nd pic). Common coins are buffs, mercs and frankies, the harder to find ones walkers, Morgans and commems. There aren't any older type coins that I've ever seen. Fun to collect and as noted, they are safe in the containers.

Hall_50c_1936_Brown_zpsaxlrjfzk.jpg

Hall_Flip_Styles_1000X_zps60orqrn8.jpg

These come in different styles/generations, the brown flips harder to find and I believe are older than the blue flips. The style seemed to evolve towards the eventual PCGS numbering system (see 2nd pic). Common coins are buffs, mercs and frankies, the harder to find ones walkers, Morgans and commems. There aren't any older type coins that I've ever seen. Fun to collect and as noted, they are safe in the containers.

Tim, "older type coins" were also sold in those flips - I know, because I was a buyer for the company n the mid-late 80's. But 20th century singles were a very large portion of the coins that the company handled back then.