• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have about 75 Washington Dollars and three one dollar bills this morning...

51 posts in this topic

You may wind up washing dishes, having to trade something else you have with you, or leave something as a "security deposit" that you will bring back other acceptable payment.

Maybe if you're local we take you picture and you have two days to settle your bill in an acceptable fashion or we post your picture and name as a deadbeat who ate and didn't pay.

They could call the police and file charges against you for nonpayment, but trying to explain to the copthat you haven't paid even though you offered the dollars would probably be too difficult.

Here's what would happen:

Manager says "we don't accept those"

I say "sorry, that's all I have"

Manager "leave your ID or something and come back with the money"

I say "Sorry, I just passing through town. Don't really intend on coming back through here in the future."

Manager says "I'm gonna call the cops"

I say "Go ahead. You have no legal grounds. I've offered to pay with legal tender US money, which you have refused to accept."

Manager says "fine. just give me the damned coins. get the spoon out of here."

I say "here ya go. Have a nice day."

You may wind up washing dishes, having to trade something else you have with you, or leave something as a "security deposit" that you will bring back other acceptable payment.

Maybe if you're local we take you picture and you have two days to settle your bill in an acceptable fashion or we post your picture and name as a deadbeat who ate and didn't pay.

They could call the police and file charges against you for nonpayment, but trying to explain to the copthat you haven't paid even though you offered the dollars would probably be too difficult.

I say "Sorry, I just passing through town. Don't really intend on coming back through here in the future."

I say "Go ahead. You have no legal grounds. I've offered to pay with legal tender US money, which you have refused to accept."

OR this is the part where the manager turns into a bear and you are looking like a rabbit. 27_laughing.gif

No, the manager says "Actually, I DO have legal grounds. This business is not a United States govenment entity and as such legal tender has no bearing on the situation. We do not accept dollar coins. Pay us with something else or explain to the cops why you refused to pay for your meal.

or explain to the cops why you refused to pay for your meal.

makepoint.gif

no No NO.

I'm NOT refusing to pay.

By your logic, if I went into another diner, ordered a coke which cost 75 cents, (that would be a small coke) drank the coke, then offered to pay with seven dimes and one nickel, the only money I had, then the manager could say "We only accept quarters here. Pay with quarters right now or I'm calling the cops."

That's just crazy.

I think the cops would come and listen to the manager and say , "what the hell has gotten into you... you *spoon*? - take the money"

If the new coins were not accepted (assuming no notice at the front door) then any person leaving their house would be required to have ESP in order to satisfy a business owners requirements for payment. Without asking as you walk in, a business owner is assuming that you just happen to have the exact type of currency/coins required for his/her establishment.

Jeff

$2.00 bills and Washington dollars from me from now on!

I think a business can post terms such as "No washington dollars" or "No bills larger than a $20" or "No checks" but if nothing is posted about us currency, then it would be reasonable to assume that any us tender is acceptable...now if you have all pennies, they might say "I don't have time to count $75 in pennies. Or if you have a $100 they might say "Sorry I don't have change" but those are logistical issues, not policy issues.

--Jerry

I suspect that anyone going to a diner in the US has a reasonable expectation that the diner accepts us tender, unless clearly noted. I want to find a BBQ joint out here in Georgia that only accepts beers as payments and offers shots as change. That would be cool.

or explain to the cops why you refused to pay for your meal.

makepoint.gif

no No NO.

I'm NOT refusing to pay.

By your logic, if I went into another diner, ordered a coke which cost 75 cents, (that would be a small coke) drank the coke, then offered to pay with seven dimes and one nickel, the only money I had, then the manager could say "We only accept quarters here. Pay with quarters right now or I'm calling the cops."

That's just crazy.

And he could...legally. Would he? Of course not. Nor would the original manager in real life, but he would have that legal option.

I'm NOT refusing to pay.

That's just crazy.

And he could...legally. Would he? Of course not. Nor would the original manager in real life, but he would have that legal option.
Yeah but I doubt the police would do anything to the customer. Could they charge the restaurant owner for making a frivolous call and wasting their time? wink.gif I wouldn't want my taxes wasted like that.

So, instead, you want your tax dollars wasted minting dollar coins that won't circulate. poke2.gif
27_laughing.gif Your line of reasoning is ... umm, mind boggling. Sorry, I don't see how you can assume how I feel about one from the other! Thanks for the laugh, it's the best medicine.

That's just crazy.

It may be crazy but the diner would be within their rights to do just that.

So, instead, you want your tax dollars wasted minting dollar coins that won't circulate. poke2.gif

There is no wasting of tax money. The Mint operations are a self sustaining and does not take any budgetary funds. In fact, the Mint adds money to the Treasury after paying its bills. The seigniorage, the difference between the cost of minting the coins and their face value (paid by the Fed), is deposited in the United States Mint Public Enterprise Fund. "Profits" from selling collectibles are also deposited in the Public Enterprise Fund.

You can read about how much money is used by the time and how much they deposit into the Public Enterprise Fund in their Mint's Annual Report (which 2004 is the latest online version).

Scott hi.gif

The Mint produces a $1 bill for 4 cents each, it also produces a $100 bill for 4 cents each! Talk about profit margins! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Ummm... the Bureau of Engraving and Printing produces the currency. According to the BEP 2005 annual report, the cost for printing currency is 5-cents each. But that is for the printing process alone. When all costs are factored in--which is how the Mint does its accounting--the cost is 12-cents per note.

Before applauding, a one-dollar Federal Reserve Note lasts an average 18 months and 90-92 percent of the BEP's production is to replace worn or otherwise unusable notes. The lifetime of the coin is 20 years. It is estimatted that a $1 coin costs 22-cents to strike. For the 20 year lifetime of that coin, BEP will produce about 13 notes for that $1. Not even counting inflation, the BEP will spend $1.56 to keep that $1 in circulation over 20 years.

Think about it! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Scott hi.gif

The Mint produces a $1 bill for 4 cents each, it also produces a $100 bill for 4 cents each! Talk about profit margins! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Ummm... the Bureau of Engraving and Printing produces the currency. According to the BEP 2005 annual report, the cost for printing currency is 5-cents each. But that is for the printing process alone. When all costs are factored in--which is how the Mint does its accounting--the cost is 12-cents per note.

Before applauding, a one-dollar Federal Reserve Note lasts an average 18 months and 90-92 percent of the BEP's production is to replace worn or otherwise unusable notes. The lifetime of the coin is 20 years. It is estimatted that a $1 coin costs 22-cents to strike. For the 20 year lifetime of that coin, BEP will produce about 13 notes for that $1. Not even counting inflation, the BEP will spend $1.56 to keep that $1 in circulation over 20 years.

Think about it! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Scott hi.gif

Exactly!

You'd think the bleeding-heart-liberal *spoon* who are always crying "don't waste tax dollars" would wrap their heads this concept. Then again, these are the same people who cry "no war for oil" then go outside and fire-up their SUV.