• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have about 75 Washington Dollars and three one dollar bills this morning...

51 posts in this topic

Problem is, the slot where I insert money at the parking lot I use when I drive to work is not wide enough to accept anything larger than a quarter and parking is six bucks (more than the three greenbacks I have)

Aren't there laws requiring businesses to accept all currency? I know a business can put up a sign saying "no bills larger than $50" but they can't refuse to accept the dollar coin, right?

makepoint.gif

For the umpteenth time, there is no law whatsoever that requires anyone to accept a particular form of payment in exchange for goods or services. I could require that everyone pay me in cats, but I'd lose business because nobody wants to carry a bag full of cats around. Likewise, I could require everyone pay me only in $5 bills and refuse to accept anything else - I might lose business, but that's my problem. The government picks and choses what they want to accept payment in - just try and pay your taxes in cents if you don't believe me.

Just because a particular form of currency exists, doesn't mean that a business is required to accept it.

Aren't there laws requiring businesses to accept all currency? I know a business can put up a sign saying "no bills larger than $50" but they can't refuse to accept the dollar coin, right?
Some eBay sellers only take PayPal and do not accept Presidential dollars 893whatthe.gif

Some eBay sellers only take PayPal and do not accept Presidential dollars 893whatthe.gif

**smack**

lol

Here's my real *spoon*: Every morning I have to stop what I'm doing, fold six one dollar bills eight times each to fit them in the the damned "pay slot according to marked space" thing in the parking lot. It would be so much easier to pay with coin. It would be easier for the owner of the lot to count also. He wouldn't have to unfold all those bills.

For the umpteenth time, there is no law whatsoever that requires anyone to accept a particular form of payment in exchange for goods or services.

I'm not talking about cats, I'm talking about refusing to accept a one dollar coin when you do accept one dollar bills. You're saying if a place takes cash, it must accept credit card. Again, that's not what I'm saying.

I've posted this before, and yes, the same responses: There's no law that says what a business accepts for payment of service. Period. You could do your part and talk to the management about it, educate them about the dollar coin, and see what happens.

<<fold six one dollar bills eight times each>>

It is impossible to fold a piece of paper more than 7 times.

There is a law where the Sac dollar and the new Pres dollars must meet the specifics of the SBA dollar so the vending machine coin identifiers would not have to be changed out everythime there is a currency change.

pay phones

soda

food

slots

toll booths

parking garages

Talk to the manager, but it will probably depend on how much it will cost them to change their machines before they will make the changes. Also, if the coins are not used then it may not be worthwhile for them to make that change.

It's not right and I don't agree with it but it all comes down to the bottom line for a business.

Think you got it bad?

I know this guy that has to fold 6 cats 8 times and shove them in a slot to park...

(Insert rimshot here...)

lol

Take a file to work and make the slot bigger.

I swear to God I've considered that. Just afraid someone will see me doing it and call the cops thinking I'm trying to rob the damned thing.

Maybe I could just take a hammer and pound the coins through the slot.

I believe the Mythbusters folded a piece of paper 11 times.

Of course the paper was the size of a football field, but it still folded 11 times! poke2.gif

There is a law where the Sac dollar and the new Pres dollars must meet the specifics of the SBA dollar so the vending machine coin identifiers would not have to be changed out everythime there is a currency change.

The law mandates the use for the government, government corporations, and entities that takes fees and are subsidized by federal funds. It says nothing about its use by the private sector. It is legal for a private sector concern to take payment in any form as long as both parties agree (i.e., contract) on comparable value.

Scott hi.gif

Think you got it bad?

I know this guy that has to fold 6 cats 8 times and shove them in a slot to park...

(Insert rimshot here...)

Now that was a good response! thumbsup2.gif

<<Of course the paper was the size of a football field, but it still folded 11 times!>>

Would the wallet it came in fit inside Shea Stadium?

Those danged Mythbusters! At it again are they? foreheadslap.gif

The types of lots near me in New England that WW seems to be writing about are oftentimes adjacent to a train platform and the parking lot will have a wall of small, locked boxes like PO boxes at one end with each box numbered to correspond to a parking spot. They are unattended and unguarded and folks fold up their bills and slide them into small slits cut into the individual locked boxes. Later, the money can be collected and any cars that are parked in a spot that has had no money deposited might be ticketed. These lots might sell weekly or monthly passes, but I have not seen them.

I believe the Mythbusters folded a piece of paper 11 times.

Of course the paper was the size of a football field, but it still folded 11 times! poke2.gif

Having another hobby called origami ... yes, it is very possible to fold a piece of paper more than 7 times, though it is pretty difficult, and near impossible with your average, every-day printer paper.

Stated simply, there is no law that requires anyone to accept any form of legal tender in payment. You are free to refuse any form of legal tender, coins or currency.

Refusing the payment does NOT mean they do not have to pay you, but if they attempt to pay using legal tender you may not charge interest or penalties for late payment

That's true!

Think you got it bad?

(Insert rimshot here...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing but net!

As I was going to St Ives

I met a man with seven wives

And every wife had seven sacks

And every sack had seven cats

And every cat had seven kits

Kits, cats, sacks, wives

How many were going to pak tha ca?

OK,

Let's say I go to a diner.

I order a burger, fries and coke.

The bill is $10

I offer to pay with 10 Washington Dollars.

The manager says "we don't accept those"

I have no other cash, my debit card is at home, and my FICO score sucks so I have no credit cards.

So there I am, ten dollar meal in my belly, ten Washington dollars in my hand, no other method of payment, manager refusing to accept the coins.

Then what?

You may wind up washing dishes, having to trade something else you have with you, or leave something as a "security deposit" that you will bring back other acceptable payment.

Maybe if you're local we take you picture and you have two days to settle your bill in an acceptable fashion or we post your picture and name as a deadbeat who ate and didn't pay.

They could call the police and file charges against you for nonpayment, but trying to explain to the copthat you haven't paid even though you offered the dollars would probably be too difficult.