• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a VAM for this State Quarter Error

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone

I got this coin in the other day from a coin bag and was wondering if anyone knew of a VAM for this State Quarter Error. The Right side of the Obverse is very weak and the scan shows it as missing but with coin in hand, I can barely make out the rest of the letters and Mint mark. It is from the Denver Mint. The Obverse is fine and has great detail. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks

papag

1650347-monterr0003.jpg.993b2744de47ec0d1c04e3c691303ef5.jpg

I don't believe there are VAM numbers for quarters.

However, that's a nice filled-die error. Looks like the Mint put too much grease on that one! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

Hi Scot

Thanks very much for the information. The question is, is it worth it to have it graded or just to hold onto it as an error coin, does it have any value as an error? I am going to attach the Reverse so you can see that as well. Thanks again for your help and information.

papag

1650420-monterr.jpg.9e9205d77496293e45fc75173663ba06.jpg

Caveat: I am not an error expert. However, from what I know of error coins, it does not hurt have them authenticated and slabbed. On eBay, it looks like they are selling from $10-25. You may want to try to contact Fred Weinberg through his website at www.fredweinberg.com and ask him.

Scott hi.gif

Nice find! yep, a grease filled die I would say. Not worth a great lot of money but an interesting coin none the less.I like the many different errors you run across while searching rolls and have a lot of them I have found over the years.It seems there are an endless variety of ways coins can get messed up in the minting process.Now if I could just find some of the valuable ones ! good luck..CC

Thanks to You Scot and You Cannon Coins for the information and help. Cannon this is the first Error Coin I have found since getting all the State Quarters I have been going through with all my rolls as well. From the mint and from Uncirculated Bank rolls as well. Thanks again.

papag

VAM stands for Van Allen and Mallis, the authors of a comprehensive work on die pairings for Morgan and Peace dollars. Therefore, the term VAM is generally only used when discussing Morgan and Peace dollars.

I have invited Fred to join and post here on a few occasions, I have not seen or heard from him on this side of the street as of yet. I did see that handsome rascal on the Travel Channel in a segment from "Secrets of the US Mint" if you ever get the chance, watch that show.

Maybe some of you other posters can drop Fred a hint to join us here, his error knowledge is unfathomable.

papag, nice find...it would be a general classification as "Struck through abnormal objects"

That can be dirt, grease, cloth, wire, thread etc. with the most common it seems being grease.

A small premium to error and Statehood Quarter colletors.

Hi Tom B

Thanks very much for your information. Again on this chat board I have learned something. I thought they were also for other coins as well. Thank You.

Wooden Jefferson I also appreciate the information and I looked at the website that Scot had recommended but even on the website he states he does not look at Filled dies and such but only off center and such. Thanks for your comments on the Quarter. Thanks again Everyone

papag