• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Large Cents in a 7070

10 posts in this topic

I just put my Large Cent series into my 7070 and the holes appear to be too big. Is this normal? Are my coins too worn out? It seems strange that all would fit in rather loose. They don't rattle but they're loose enough that I can see daylight on the edges when I hold them up to a light source. Everything else fit in with a good push. This $uck$ since I started from the back of the album and put in my moderns and commems first working my way to the front.

confused.gif

Leo

You're lucky... you could have found one too big for the hole! 893whatthe.gif

The instruments were less than precise particularly prior to Coronet Head Large Cents prior to 1839. There were some changes made in 1839 to try to make the coin more uniform, but size variations do exist. I have seen many references that said the Mint was less than accurate with the sizing of the copper Large and Half cents. Planchets that ended up thinner because the strips were rolled too flat were cut larger to ensure the weight was made (and vice versa).

When I tried to find an album to store a modest collection of Large Cents, I found that the Dansco albums have holes that are 1-2 percent larger than the coin's specifications to account for the variations. Whitman albums are at specifications. And I found older Library of Coins albums to be too small for most coins.

Some years are different than others. As I look at my notes, I see the 1818 Coronet Head Large Cent is generally larger. So are many of the Classic Head varieties (1808?-1814). You may want to look for any of those. Besides, the 1818-1821 Coronet Head Cents have some very interesting large/small/overdate varieties.

Scott hi.gif

Smaller is definitely better than larger. You will face the same problem with the earlier Bust halves. I had upgraded an 1836 which fit fine to an 1810 which was too large.

My Barber half and bust dime are both too small for their holes.

That's because of wear, not manufactured planchet size.

I never had problems with half cents or any other denominations.

I make shims from extra album slides. I cut long pieces about a 16th of an inch wide and cut to the length needed to hold the coin nice and snug. It works really well.