• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An 1812 Bust Half please guess the grade, Overton number, die state

15 posts in this topic

I picked up a beautiful 1812 from Premium Numismatics. Obviously, this coin has been dipped in the past, but it was properly dipped and has considerable luster and has developed a nice skin. The surfaces are truly excellent for the grade. There is an absence of hairlines, and the distinguishing features for this Overton number and die state are obvious, which is kind of nice, I think. The clash marks are intruiguing.

the first photos are a little on the dark side but I left them that way rather than 'adjust' them. There are some reflections on the surface of the holder, and you'll also see the reverse die is rotated. This is how the coin would appear in natural room light, the second set required 2 incandescent bulbs.

1645166-1812obverse2.JPG

1645168-1812reverse2.JPG

1645169-1812obverse.JPG

1645172-1812reverse.JPG

Looks like an AU-58 O-107 to me. The apparent wear on the eagle's wing is most likely

a strike issue, and not related to circulation. Just a touch of wear on the Obverse, but

very nice details still intact on BOTH sides. I like it! thumbsup2.gif

Now that Greg said it was a O-107, I see the die lump near the left wing. I also think the grade is AU-58 (just a little wear). Beautiful coin. Congratuations.

I am not sure about the die state, but I do like the die rotation. I can see the same

clash marks as the plate coin in Overton, but they are in a different place. What is that

that looks like a spear through the eagles face! Is that another clash mark that just ended

up there with the rotation ?

Hi Mike,

I like this coin. It sure has been dipped, but it will grow back. It is nice and clean and sure does look like it kept most of its luster. This is an example of the type of coin that needs to be out of a slab and kept in an envelope or an album for a while to regain some of its lost color. Some will argue that this will result in an AT coin but I say balderdash.

As for a grade--its a high AU...55 or 58

Congrats on getting yourself an 1812 that you are happy with! Looks like a 55 to me, depending on the luster it could go on either side of that. Decent 107. thumbsup2.gif

Congrats on getting yourself an 1812 that you are happy with! Looks like a 55 to me, depending on the luster it could go on either side of that. Decent 107. thumbsup2.gif

I agree with MBA...

I really like the clash, adds that something special to the coin... thumbsup2.gif

I can't comment on the grade or details, as i'm a total rookie with this series. However, if i were to indulge in a bust half, it would be the 1812 coin. I have a fondness for US and foreign coinage minted during war years. Makes it even more historic in my eyes!

thanks for sharing!

Doug

I am not sure about the die state, but I do like the die rotation. I can see the same

clash marks as the plate coin in Overton, but they are in a different place. What is that

that looks like a spear through the eagles face! Is that another clash mark that just ended

that's a good question. My guess is that this die was further clashed, and therefore a later die state than the Overton plate coin. I couldn't even guess when the rotation ocurred.

the coin by the way is graded an AU50.

that's a good question. My guess is that this die was further clashed, and therefore a later die state than the Overton plate coin. I couldn't even guess when the rotation ocurred.

the coin by the way is graded an AU50.

I bet you paid less than what I paid for my NGC '45... hi.gif

I was just looking at the images again to see why in the world that coin only graded

AU50, and I noticed what appears to be letters on and below the shield on the reverse.

Are those really there, or am I just seeing things?? I can almost see letters from LIBERTY

below the shield - but I can't for the life of me figure out where the letters on the shield

might have come from?? 893whatthe.gifconfused.gif

Edited to add:

I just looked at the 1812 O-107 on the Bust series thread ATS, and sure enough,

it has the letters too. It appears that the letters on the shield are also from LIBERTY,

so I guess there were mutiple clashes, with different rotations ?? Fascinating!

1812 link ATS

isn't it all so amazing. Thanks for putting up that link, haven't been there much since I was banned. Zap's 1812 107 shows the same clash marks on the reverse that mine does (at least a double clashing as you suggest) and also shows an absolutely beautiful double strike of the obverse. Doubling of the Bust is fairly common, but with that degree of spacing, in my limited knowledge, is pretty uncommon. He has a great double profile and I think one of that degree should pick up a significant premium, whereas most of the smaller double profiles do not.