• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has amyone viewed, in hand, the new NGC holder that houses the Presidential --

7 posts in this topic

Dollars ? They have 3 or 4 spaced prongs that allow for the viewing of the coins edge. If so, what do you think ? Also, is it likely PCGS will attempt to copy such a holder ? Thanks, in advance, for your comments.

Haven't seen them in hand, but seen some images of them online.No doubt the other TPG's will have to come up with a simular design to view the edges of the new dollar. It will be interesting to see how the Mint designs the mint and proof sets to display the edges of them. CC

Yea, the Mint kinda threw the TPGS a curve with this one. Should be interesting. I will be FedExing some in Thursday afternoon... my bank damned well better have some on Thursday... no excuse not to. They are the tellers in the Bank of america World Headquarters four blocks from a Federal Reserve Branch.

I think the Mint did the edge thing to try to increase interest in the coins. Bottom line is, until the Fed starts yanking $1 bills from circulation and forces the people to use the coins, the dollar coin will never catch-on I don't care waht the design or color is.

Personally, my view is "Dollar coins now, dollar coins tomorrow, dollar coins forever."

From pictures of the NGC, ICG and CGS edge view holders, I like the CGS ones the best. IMO, the CGS ones make smaller coins look like a suspended jewel which I like. I haven't seen a dollar/crown-sized coin in a CGS holder yet. I also haven't seen any of these holders in person yet. just photos.

I also think edge view holders should be used for every coin so the edge can be inspected for edge damage on all coins, not just ones with text.

Yes, I saw them at Central States last year. These holders are not new, they have been around for about three years but have only been available for 1907 high relief double eagles and sometimes bust half dollars. All they have done is made a new insert that will hold the smaller size coin.

I would agree though that CGS-UK has done a better job. MCGC and DCGS also had decent ideas that allowed the entire edge to be view.

I haven't seen them or the PCGS holder. but in response to the second part of the OP question, PCGS announced today that they have a special holder for these coins. I will be getting a bunch slabbed over there and will post a photo later in the week or next week, whenever I get them. --Jerry

PCGS thread