• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gobrecht Dollar: Is this the same coin?

101 posts in this topic

If this is the case, then this isn't the first Gobrecht that was ATed recently and put in a slab. Look around, there have been several on the market recently.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is this the same coin?

Coin #1:

422094031o.jpg422094031r.jpg

Does the coin pictured below bear any resemblance to the proven-AT coin above?

AN02311788-oz.jpg

AN02311788-rz.jpg

Here is the coin that is coming up for auction:

http://www.stacks.com/lotdetail.aspx?lrid=AN00063849

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

[Edited to add]

It is worth noting that this coin is a rarer, and more valuable variety (J-84, P-93, R-5, Original Strike), and should fetch quite a bit more money than the last one. A search of Heritage turned up 0 original strikes of this variety, and the last one to come up at Heritage, a restruck 64, went for just over $80k.

It is also worth noting this one is being auctioned RAW, with a starting bid of $39k.

This one will be interesting to watch...Mike

If this is the case, then this isn't the first Gobrecht that was ATed recently and put in a slab. Look around, there have been several on the market recently.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is this the same coin?

Coin #1:

422094031o.jpg422094031r.jpg

Does the coin pictured below bear any resemblance to the proven-AT coin above?

AN02311788-oz.jpg

AN02311788-rz.jpg

Here is the coin that is coming up for auction:

http://www.stacks.com/lotdetail.aspx?lrid=AN00063849

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, they are likely from the same source.

It's fun to try and track down a coin's "predecessor". Thankfully, there aren't thousands of Gobrechts out there. Here's a side by side of the Stacks coin (on the right) and another that had uncannily similar weaknesses in the stars on the obverse. There were also several features on the reverse that suggested they might be the same. (I desaturated the images to facilitate comparison.) Could the areas above the E in STATES, below the eagles jaw and below the L in DOLLAR be features of the die?

1838revcomparison3.jpg

http://www.stacks.com/lotdetail.aspx?lrid=AN00034718&fs=true

Note this coin had die cracks. However, there is a precedent for disappearing die cracks wink.gif (see the auction descriptions of the Heritage coin(s) that began this thread.) My head is still spinning from the Breen-Julian vs revisionism debate, but Stacks may be putting forth yet another theory. crazy.gif

Imo, Stacks has sold what I would consider to be 'questionable' expensive raw coins for years. There's a good reason they are sold raw, though as the rest of this thread indicates, more of such coins are now making their way into slabs.

Practically speaking, I don't like any of the $ coins shown here. I think they are AT jobs, and have been ruined. I personally wouldn't pay more than melt for them. No, I take that back; I wouldn't want either of them to tarnish my collection under any circumstances. I wouldn't even take them even if I was offered was a no-strings-attached gift. It all comes down to what is acceptable to each of us.

This explains why it took four years for me to find an acceptable Barber Half. If people were more picky about what they considered to be acceptable, you wouldn't have this kind of **** happening in numismatics.

TDN,

since i've never seen one of those beauties in person before, may i ask about the strike? On the reverse, the eagle's feathers look incredibly well detailed, almost having a 3-D "pop" to them. are these considered high-relief coins, or is yours just incredibly well struck? beautiful coin, BTW !!

thanks

Doug

TDN,

since i've never seen one of those beauties in person before, may i ask about the strike? On the reverse, the eagle's feathers look incredibly well detailed, almost having a 3-D "pop" to them. are these considered high-relief coins, or is yours just incredibly well struck? beautiful coin, BTW !!

thanks

Doug

Doug: my coin has a very nice strike and beautiful frost on the eagle giving it a cameo appearance that is set off nicely by the incredible toning. It is the Amon Carter coin, purchased from B Max Mehl in 1947. I have the original invoice.

I do not know, but I suspect that #2 is the before picture and the #1 is the after picture. The coin looks AT and very possibly done to hide the polishing.

Greg figured it out. thumbsup2.gif

Here's the rest of the story...

Coin #2 graded Improperly Cleaned--NCS Proof, sold in April 2006 for just shy of $20k.

Coin #1 graded PCGS PR 63 sold in Jan 2007 for a cool $46k.

IMHO, this is an example of an AT coin many of us can learn from. Looking at the 2007 color photo alone, it certainly would have fooled me. Here are slightly different shots of it:

422094031a.jpg422094031b.jpg

Note to self: Inspect closely album toned coins with white middles. 893naughty-thumb.gif ...particularly if they sold a year earlier as an all-white coin. blush.gif

Second note to self: Green on silver is not as "safe" of a color as once thought. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Have fun...Mike

p.s. I am also of the opinion that this one has been skillfully improved in other areas too -- although the photos and toning may be playing tricks on my eyes. confused.gif

This coin is back on the market, now upgraded to PCGS PR-64.

Thanks for finding this TDN. (thumbs u