• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1806/5 O-103 draped bust half - dark and crusty

21 posts in this topic

1806 is a peculiar year for coins. To make a complete year set, one only needs an half cent, cent, quarter dollar, half dollar, quarter eagle and half eagle. Two of each metallic composition made by the Mint that year. The cent through half dollar are pieces of cake for the middle-grade collector. These coins are pretty abundant, but if you have a taste for originality, these coins can be a bit tougher to find. Even as tough as original pieces are to find, they are surprisingly not that much more expensive - very affordable. As for the two gold pieces, you'll spend quite a bit on an example of each, but particularly the quarter eagle. Good luck finding those with any originality what-so-ever.

I do all kinds of looking at coins from the early Mint, and most of them are cleaned, beaten to death, graffiti ridden, or suffered some significant abuse in their long histories. So, finding a nice, original, well-circulated piece from this era is a treat, and a hard one to pass up when it comes along. Last year, I came across two 1806 quarters that met that description (posted in James' thread on early quarters), and now I've found a sweet 1806 half dollar to add to the mix. ANACS grades the piece F12, and the only detriment is a small rim ding under the 8. A lovely piece.

Post yours if you have 'em, including the other denominations from the period!

Enjoy, Hoot

1632866-1806ov5O-103F12ANACS07-024.JPG

1632866-1806ov5O-103F12ANACS07-024.JPG.1710600e1fc0d1f0896b18cf9534ce65.JPG

Awesome coin, Hoot! Unfortunately, 1806 is a date that I've not yet had a chance to own, and I'll be lucky to do as well as you and others in this thread! thumbsup2.gif Thanks for sharing...Mike

Fabulous coins, one and all! WoodyJ - We'll let ya slide on the date for the honor of having the coin posted here! wink.gif

Hoot

It's funny that when I look at the photo of this coin on my home computer, it looks quite different than on my work computer. At home, the photo gives the coin a sort-of dry and grainy appearance, whereas at work, the coin looks more like it does in-hand - glossy and smooth, with a rich, dark patina. Truly, the coin is one of the prettiest circulated pieces of the time I've seen - patience has its rewards!

Everyone else's coins look better at work too! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I must need a new monitor at home. makepoint.gif

Hoot

Super examples posted so far!!!! Love the 1806 year for some reason? I agree with everything you said Hoot. Here are the two I own:

1806halfcentobv1.jpg

1806hdcomp.jpg

Here are two of my type coins that happen to be dated 1806.

This half cent is a C-4, (large 6, Stems), and is one of the Chapment brothers hoard piecs. This coin is an NGC MS-62, Brown. And yes for once I avoided the dreaded BB when I submitted a copper coin for grading. acclaim.gif

1806HalfCentO.jpg

1806HalfCentR.jpg

I purchased this 1806 half dollar at a Paramount Coin auction many moons ago (1975). This is an NCG AU-58. Like many 1806 half dollars, the strike is on the shallow side, but it's got lots of luster.

1806HalfDolO.jpg

1806HalfDolR.jpg

WOW! Lee & Bill - Great additions. thumbsup2.gif And though in a time past, I'm sure, congrats to you Bill on getting one in a holder (I reckon)!

Hoot

Neat thread. grin.gif

I love the draped bust design so very much. laugh.gif And these are all such lovely examples, too.

Here's my one and only, an 1804.

drapedhc.jpg

-Amanda

Fabulous Amanda! Incredible variety in the 1804 half cents - also a well-circulated bunch of copper!

Does anyone have any gold from 1806?

Hoot

Does anyone have any gold from 1806?

Yep!

Here is the world's most common Capped Bust $5 gold - the 1806 with the rounded ball on the "6." This on is now a PCGS AU-58. I bought it at the 1982 "apostrophe sale" (a.k.a. Auction ’82) before the Boston ANA. Superior only called it an AU-50 back then, and I thought at the time that it was under graded. This coin was struck from slightly rusted dies and is one of the later die states.

1806HalfEagleO.jpg

1806HalfEagleR.jpg

Sweet! cloud9.gif Bill, do you have any recollection what you paid in 1980? Just curious to understand the gain.

Hoot

I paid $3,000, and as it turns out it the auction was held in 1982, not 1980. There were no buyer's fees back then.

Today the asking price for these seems to be around $11,000.

One sweet looking original coin Hoot - and nice posts by all !! Unfortunately, I can't post an 1806 as I've thrown my lot in with another year that's captured my fancy. ButI I sure can appreciate these wonderful examples of my favorite era and style. thumbsup2.gif