• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10th Anniversary Platinum Reverse Proof

11 posts in this topic

With the instant success of the 20th Anniversary Silver and Gold 3 piece sets, will the proposed 10th Anniversary Platinum 3 piece Proof, Uncirculated and Reverse Proof likely follow suit ? Would you likely be a buyer of such a set at approx. $2500.00 ?

My guess is that ATS forum members will buy out the issue for speculation purposes wink.gif Might be a good speculation. The set doesn't fit my collecting goals so it makes sense to pass unless I wanted to speculate and/or flip. Could be a decent way to generate some additional collecting funds.

What denomination? If these are 1oz coins like gold and silver, that's way under melt. Perhaps they'll do 1/2 oz coins to keep the price in line with the gold set that was $2600. -Jerry

The Mint is considering four configurations, all of which involve half ounce coins. No option involves one ounce coins. For details, there's a recent Coin World article that specified the configurations. Here's an excerpt:

• Option A: a two-coin set containing a Proof 2007 American Eagle half-ounce platinum coin and an "exclusive" Reverse Proof half-ounce platinum coin. This set would cost approximately $1,800.

• Option B: a three-coin platinum set incorporating a Proof half-ounce coin, a Reverse Proof half-ounce coin and an Uncirculated half-ounce coin. This set would cost approximately $2,550.

• Option C: a three-coin set containing Proof and Reverse Proof half-ounce platinum coins, both with the W Mint mark, and a bullion coin without Mint mark. This set would cost approximately $2,500.

• Option D: three half-ounce coins – a Proof, a Reverse Proof and a new Brilliant Uncirculated version, all with W Mint mark. This set would cost approximately $2,650. The Brilliant Uncirculated halfounce coin would appear with "full luster" wherein "both the production dies and the coin blanks are polished before striking the coins," according to the survey.

Beijim

What denomination? If these are 1oz coins like gold and silver, that's way under melt. Perhaps they'll do 1/2 oz coins to keep the price in line with the gold set that was $2600. -Jerry

As Beijim's post points out: the coins will be 1/2 ounces.

Thanks Beijim. To summarize:

• Option A: PF, "exclusive" PR @ $1,800
  • Option B: PF, PR, MS @$2,550
  • Option C: PF-W, PR-W, MS @ $2,500
  • Option D: PF-W, PR-W, MS-W @ $2,650

What is the "exclusive" PR? Is it any different than the one in Option B?

So to get all the coins you'd need:

• PF
  • PR
  • MS
  • "exclusive" PR
  • PF-W
  • PR-W
  • MS-W

It seems like you'd have to get Option A for the exclusive PR (if this really is exclusive), Option B for the regular PR and Option D for the MS-W.

My understanding is that while the Mint was considering these four options, they've narrowed the field to two of them and will ultimately select only one.

Beijim

Does anyone know when the US mint is looking at selling these coins (if not an exact date then roughly will do)? ... and how would I go about knowing when they are available - I missed out on the 2006 platinum mint state eagles and I would hate to miss out on these too.

Thanks

Daniel

According to the February 12 Coin World article:

Mint officials are targeting a release date for the 10 th anniversary American Eagle platinum set for sometime during the first quarter of Fiscal Year 2008, which begins Oct. 1, 2007, but [u.S. Mint deputy associate director for sales and marketing] Hamer is hopeful the product could be offered sometime before that date.

Just monitor the U.S. Mint web site at www.usmint.gov to see the product's on-sale date announcement. In particular, use the "Buy Online" link on the left edge of the home page to navigate to the Mint's web commerce area. Then use the "Product Schedule" link at the top and "Product Availability" link at the left to explore upcoming products.

Beijim