• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I finally found another 1827 curled base '2' Will it grade?

22 posts in this topic

I found this 1827 curled base 2 on ebay and bought it raw.

I don't care what it grades, so long as it grades.

I have a certain self confidence in analyzing surfaces, but I'm not so confident with this coin.

The surfaces...I'm not 100% sure if they are 'natural' and unfooled with.

There is a 'ding' on the edge which also concerns me, so I've included a few photos.

The edge lettering is really interesting and a little exciting, if you like this kind of stuff Like I do, so I tried to photograph it in steps.

You'll see that it says FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR * FIFTY CENTS...

where the OR is superimposed over the HALF

I'd appreciate any input in this coin before sending it in for grading.

Thanks.

1629271-1827curlobverse.JPG

1629272-1827curlreverse.JPG

1629274-DSCN0008_edited.JPG1629275-DSCN0009_edited.JPG1629281-DSCN0011_edited.JPG1629284-DSCN0019_edited.JPG1629288-DSCN0021_edited.JPG

that last photo showing the ding on the edge and also the * incused on the edge. Really neat.

but this is what it looks like face on

1629295-faceedge.JPG

1629296-edge1.JPG

I must admit that I am a little confused by the color myself. I’ll guess that it was washed but not cleaned about 60 years ago confused-smiley-013.gif. I don’t think that the rim ding is of much consequence on a coin this old. Because I don’t see any hairlines and I’m not worried about the rim nick I would send it in to be graded thumbsup2.gif.

Mike - any hairlines under a tensor lamp? My only concern is that it has a bit of a formerly cleaned look, but I cannot be sure from the photos. I don't think the rim ding will cause a no-grade but it may get netted down.

Hoot

I tried taking some more pics of the 'ding' and I put it in quote, because I understand what you are saying about the soldered part.

Sometimes I think, yes, this is solder. Then, I think that it's just metal pushed up over the edge. Any more thoughts with these higher mag photos?

And Hoot, I'll try to get a better look at the surface and post that.

1629512-edgemag1.JPG

1629523-edgemag2.JPG

edited to add: I would think that if someone was undertaking such a small solder job that would be quite tedious, why then not go through the trouble of cleaning it up better?

Some people think they are fixing things. I recently passed on an AG03 1916-D dime that someone soldered the edge. Why? Who knows, but people do funny things.

By the larger image, I think it is probably a ding, Try a photo from the edge. Does the color of the metal look the same?

MikeKing,I think that coin will grade.Look at the coin JRocco posted in another

thread,there is a similar rim bump on the rev above the second T in states.

I don't think thats any worse than the cut mark on the neck for a circ busty.

Unless there is hairlines under the tone,I say give it a shot.If not,send it to me ,

I like raw bust halfs.!

Well I think I’m more confident that the surface won’t be an issue. It looks nice close up. The rim ding kinda looks like the coin scraped the ground or something like that. What is the risk, $18 for economy service or $30 for regular service? I think it’s worth that risk.

The rim bump could be cause for a body bag, but I doubt it. Throw a little brown shoe polish on the rim bump, and maybe the graders will not notice it. sign-funnypost.gif There is nothing else in your pictures that leads me to believe the coin will not grade at NGC.

1827 Curl 2 is not easy to find.

I wish I could tell you about whether that ding would grade. The dealer I work with when I want to send something out does not like to send any dinged coins to NGC/PCGS because he has had bad luck with them grading (so he sends them to ANACS), so I have held back any even slighly dinged coins. The coin itself looks like it may have had some of its "gunk" removed in the past, but unless it has severe hairlines, I wouldn't worry about it too much. And that edge is rather neat, so maybe the option is there to keep it raw and search for another? grin.gif

Well, the coin did grade at PCGS as an AU50. I was surprised.

First, they did it so quickly, but when I went to check, it said 'no grade available'

which led me to believe that is did not grade,

and I was kind of depressed about it but figured it was either the surface, something I didn't see, or the rim ding.

Later on I was closing windows on my desktop and came across the status page, refreshed it (out of wishful thinking?)

and lo and behold the grade was there and it was AU50.

I was kind of surprised because I expected, if it graded, a grade of XF40-45. Maybe they saw something I didn't?

But the coin is very nicely toned, just lackluster, which is in part why the AU50 grade surprised me.

Thanks everyone for your helpful input about this coin.

and ps Mepot, I'm sorry, but I will not be able to give you this coin now.

First, they did it so quickly, but when I went to check, it said 'no grade available'

and I was kind of depressed about it but figured it was either the surface, something I didn't see, or the rim ding.

Later on I was closing windows on my desktop and came across the status page, refreshed it (out of wishful thinking?)

I was kind of surprised because I expected, if it graded, a grade of XF40-45. Maybe they saw something I didn't?

But the coin is very nicely toned, just lackluster, which is in part why the AU50 grade surprised me.

Neat. Glad to see PCGS is loosening up their standards wink.gif

Neat. Glad to see PCGS is loosening up their standards wink.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

either they are loosening thier standards, or I'm tightening mine sumo.gif

I bought a freshly graded 1814 PCGS 58 a month ago; submitting dealer was hoping for MS 62. I believe it is graded properly according to past PCGS 58 standards.

You did well to get your coin into a PCGS 50 holder. I would have expected XF 45. Maybe PCGS is currently a bit more liberal in grading the Busties?