• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade this Bust Half (overdate)

17 posts in this topic

Hey Mike,

Nice coin. I wish it were uncirculated. I am seeing a 50 there. It may stretch to a 53, but I can't judge the amount of luster from my monitor,

That looks to be wear on the bust and drapery-as well as the cap, not just weakness. The talons look 50'ish also.

I hope you surprise me and tell me its MS and make me happy for you, but 50 is my guess.

Nice coin.

I can't judge the amount of luster from my monitor,

John has captured the heart of the issue. Toning obscures too much to accurately grade this coin from the image. The weak talons don't bother me; the lack of rub at the junction of the left wing leads me to offer a WAG that this is graded Unc-ish.

the below is an opinion from a photo and sight seen might be different

au 53+++++

not quite 55

more than rub/friction and has wear

above average eye appeal++

and definately a coin i would want in my collection

good coloration

above average strike

Must know about the luster before one can project the correct grade. From the picture, I see no rub, so maybe MS62. If luster is not sufficient, or if any rub, AU58.

I Iike the coin. cool.gif

Hi, MikeKing

A nice coin, great album toning! thumbsup2.gif

I can't see the luster under the toning on the obverse of the photo, looks like luster on and around the eagle on the reverse though.

The rub at the front of the bust and cap of Liberty on the obverse keeps this coin an AU55 IMHO.

AAJ

I see this image depicting an AU-53 coin. From an aesthetic point of view, bust halves struck from 1819 dies always seem lackluster and flat. I think that when striking was resumed in 1817, they were in lower relieve than those of the 1811-1814 period, and simply have a "different" appearance from those of 1820 on. I'm not sure I've ever seen a really blazing, attention-grabbing 1819 of any die-marriage.

I appreciate everyone's input on this interesting coin.

And it is interesting not just because it has the 'look' that it does, but that there was such a wide range of opinions about what it should grade.

In hand, yes, this coin has some wear on the lower curls and talons, and there is slight rub on the cap.

The coin is graded NGC58 and PCGS wouldn't cross it at that grade.

My personal interpretation is that it is a 55+ and because of it's beauty (imho) and luster (which does not show up in the photo unfortunately), a 58 is perfectly acceptable. But in the strictest sense, I can see why PCGS would likely want this to be a 55, perhaps lower if the grader was in a rotten mood.

The coin is so beautiful, I can't do that to it (i.e., put it in a 55 holder). My personal feeling is that one would be hard pressed to find this kind of overall appearance in the mint state as well, and thus I will leave it where it is.