• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thomas Jefferson Coinage & Currency Set

5 posts in this topic

jeffersonmatteV.jpg

The 2007 Red Book lists the 1994-P Jefferson as "Special" with 167,703 minted as Special frosted uncirculated peices that were included in the 1993 Thomas Jefferson commemorative dollar packaging (sold in 1994) and the same type, 1997-P Jefferson in the 1997 Botanic Garden set. They resemble proof coins.

The Thomas Jefferson Coinage & Currency Set commemorates the 250th anniversary of Jefferson's birth on April 13th, 1743. These sets contain the 1993 uncirculated Jefferson 250th Anniversary silver dollar and an uncirculated 1976 Jefferson $2 note. These sets also contain the 1994 matte finish Jefferson uncirculated nickel.

Jeffersonmatte.jpg

JeffersonmatteII.jpg

To me, the finish on the the nickel resembles more of a "satin" finish or even better explained "matte" finish, much like the satin finishes of 2005 Mint sets, but show much more detail, just like a modern proof strike.

JeffersonmatteIIII.jpg

JeffersonmatteIII.jpg

The even though the coins are set in plastic lenses, the packaging has toned the reverse of the nickel and is starting to tone the reverse of the dollar coin as well. Special Jefferson nickels of 1994 that were removed early from this packaging, before they were allowed to tone on just the reverse, demand a higher premuim. Go figure. I paid $85 for this set about 5 years ago and if you shop well, can still be had today in about the same price range.

It is quite common to find these with reverse toning and I think it makes the coins more attractive.

I agree! The 1994 World Cup and 1995/1996 Olympic commemorative uncirculated half dollars in Young Collectors edition packaging frequently exhibit the same phenomenon. I think some are really appealing.

Beijim

Great post, WJ!

I still marvel at how stagnant the market has been over the past years for the 3 satin finishes of the 1990's. The two Jeffersons and Kennedy are the key coins in both sets which are widely collected. I would have expected these coins to go to the moon price wise. I still feel stongly that these sets represent some of the best values offered in the numismatic market today.

And it is a phenomenon that only the reverse tones in these sets. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hadn't seen that one before WJ, thanks for posting it. That's an interesting rendition of TJ, I guess I just don't think of him as a young man... just goes to show you.