• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saturday Trivia (Super Sunday Week)

10 posts in this topic

Part 1:

Name the patented composition alloy where one metal by weight is about 3.6% (1 part) the next 87.3% (24 parts) with the last 9.1% (2.5 parts)

Part 2:

Name the coins struck by this 19th Century composition of the United States Mint.

There will be a prize...notification of the pair of stadium seat numbers has not yet been negotiated.

Ding...ding...ding...We have a winner!

1878 -- The resumption of coinage of silver dollars came with the Bland-Allison Act inspired several different patterns (by both Morgan and Barber, with Morgan's winning out) for the silver dollar. A goloid (16/1 ration of silver/gold) dollar pattern was tried, though not adopted.

Goloid is an alloy of silver, gold and copper patented by Dr. William Wheeler Hubbell on May 22, 1877 (U.S. patent #191,146). The patent specifies 1 part gold (about 3.6%), 24 parts silver (about 87.3%), and 2.5 parts copper (about 9.1%, all by weight); however, the patent also states that "The proportions may be slightly varied" and goes on to specify that the silver portion can range from 20 times to 30 times that of the gold, and the copper could range from one-eighth to one-twelfth (from 12.5% to 8.33%) of the total mixture. The patent specifies that the metals be separately melted, then mixed, along with "sulphate of sodium or sulphate of potassium" in the amount of one part sulfate to one thousand parts metal. The alloy, in varying proportions (sometimes slightly out of these specifications), was used by the United States Mint to strike pattern dollars, sometimes called "metric dollars" (some were marked with "metric" in the coin design, while all had metal proportions and total coin weight as design features) from 1878 to 1880. Patterns of the same design were struck in other metals, including aluminum, copper, normal coin silver, lead, and white metal.

PM me for your preference in seating...

Goloid.jpggoloidrev.jpg

image: The Dr. Jacob Terner Collection

1880 Pattern Goloid Metric Dollar. Copper, reeded edge. Judd-1652. Pollock-1852. Rarity 6-7. NGC graded Proof 66 Red. This Goloid Metric Dollar is one of the few patterns to express the denomination in two different ways. Besides its obvious rarity, this is a gem proof example that has wonderful eye appeal. This beauty is ablaze with fiery mint red color with a minimum of fly specks present. Definitely a candidate for finest know. NGC has graded but one example. Population of only 1.

Great post and fantastic information. 893applaud-thumb.gif It seems odd to me that the goloid composition was ever patented. With such a loose interpretation of "correct" proportions, it smacks of Feuchtwanger's composition, which were nickel, copper, zinc, and sometimes other metas in inconsistent proportions. confused-smiley-013.gif Goofy.

Hoot

Wasn't the $4 Stella pattern struck in goloid? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Scott hi.gif

$4 Stella

Weight: 7 Grams (restrikes vary)

Composition: .85714 gold, .0428 silver, .100 copper

Edge: Reeded

Net Weight: .1929 ounce pure gold, .0096 ounce pure silver

*6*G*.3*S*.7*C*7*G*R*A*M*S* on the rev of the Stella Pattern coin

Stella

6 gr Gold 85.7%

.3 gr Silver 4%

.7 gr.Copper 10%

Total 7 grams

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goloid

24 parts Silver 87.3%

2.5 parts Copper 9.1%

1 part Gold 3.6%

The metals named for the Stella are the same Silver/copper/gold, but the percentages of content is opposite each other. The Stella 85% Gold where the Goliod Metric Dollar was 87% Silver.

So, I guess you could say "Goloid" compostion for the Stella if you gave the percentages, but since the silver was the main ingrediant for the Goloid, I would not say the Stella was struck in Goloid.

Now we know too much....if I am wrong, someone please correct me.