• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a tally on ngc to pcgs crossover, just fyi

12 posts in this topic

I do think that pcgs does have a different way or orientation when grading busties and I do think pcgs is tighter there than ngc but sometimes overly tight (and wrongfully so) and often enough just the same. And sometimes ngc grades them more tightly than pcgs. I don't understand it, but considering how many coins the graders look at on a daily basis, it's understandable.

Here's my most recent results:

ngc bust half ms62....................pcgs ms 62..............mikeking ms62-63

ngc bust half xf45......................pcgs au50................mikeking au53

ngc bust half au58.....................did not cross............mikeking au55+

.............................................................................gorgeous enough to make 58

ngc seated dollar 53.................pcgs 53.....................mikeking 53

pcgs bust half xf 45 (green........pcgs 45.....................mikeking 50-53

holder)

the pcgs 45 is a knobbed 2 1820 bust half I have that was misattributed by pcgs so I couldn't place it in the registry. it was in an old green holder, but i was willing to give that up because the coin is most certainly a 50-53. it came back a 45.

i don't cross all my coins to pcgs so i don't want to give the wrong impression, but i will do it if the mood hits me and i'm frustrated with scratches on the holder or whatever.

what pisses me off about this is not the dnc, rather, the xf45 that didn't upgrade when it's at least an au50. oh well...

Hi Mike - I've had similar experiences with PCGS and OGH's. What I've done is later send the coin in for regrade and had it upgrade. Oh the gemesssssssssssssssssssssssss tonofbricks.gif

Hoot

I second the question...Did you send them raw, or in their old holders.

You may have better luck cracking them...

No I didn't crack them out.

And, no, I'm not crazy about PCGS, but I have trouble with my eyes and the PCGS holders make it much easier to view the coins.

You had excellent results overall, I would say. Last time I sent NGC crossovers to PCGS, 9 out of 10 DNC. Most of those were subsequently sent in raw and upgraded above the NGC grades. And the coins werent randomly selected either, but sent in based on their merits.

Wow... That is excellent, 4 out of 5 and one up-grade...

I've never submitted to PCGS but every thing I have read ATS says there is almost always slab bias. Glad to hear there grading the coin and not the plastic...

How are the new ANACS slabs on your eyes..?

Thanks for sharing...

All I can say about ANACS is that I've had problems twice, and I think I've only had 3 or 4 or 5 coins graded by ANACS in the past. I tried to cross one to NGC but it was rejected due to 'environmental damage'. I then submitted it to PCGS and it crossed at the same ANACS grade (it was an XF45 Bust Half).

This was in the old holder.

The other problem coin I had purchased sight unseen and it was in a new ANACS holder. My personal feeling was dissapointment because the coin was obviously polished at one point. I submitted it anyway to PCGS and it was rejected for 'altered surface'. I submitted it to NGC and it was also rejected for the same thing. I contacted ANACS, spoke to one of their officials (who was very nice) and sent it there for a re-grade because they have a guarantee. They said they considered it 'normal' and not altered in any way. They also advised me that sometimes ANACS rejects coins that are graded by NGC or PCGS and sometimes it's the other way around, but in their opinion, this coin was not altered.

The bottom line is it was altered, no question, I don't need a TPG to tell me that, and it was my fault for buying something sight unseen like that. I mistakenly trusted the holder.

Motto: buy the coin, not the holder.

Can you buy a PCGS or NGC coin and have a problem? Yes.

Is PCGS 'tighter' than NGC? In some ways. But as you can see above, not necessarily. And, is PCGS accurate in their grade assessment? Not always.

Can I prove it? Yes. Can they disprove it? No.

Again, buy the coin and not the holder.

Very informative thread. I always like to read about crossovers. Do you think there is a bias not to crossover a coin to a higher grade because it is not in their holder?

What I think is that if you can imagine a reason, there's a decent chance that it can hold true at some level or another. So, yes, I think there will be a bias, as I feel they may have a bias when they see a coin come in in their own old green holder, wanting an upgrade. Think of it, if they are seen to upgrade all old green holders, they infer loss of credibility in the historic aspect of their grading.