• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ouch...was this a real gold coin?

6 posts in this topic

The general advice I've always received is that if a purported California fractional has a bear on it and no "real" denomination (that is, "1/4", but not "1/4 Dol"), then it's not real.

(It might be real gold, though.)

That was not a real Cal gold fractional, but it could have been made of real gold. The lettering is of much higher quality than seen on many of the authentic pieces, the bear motif was not used on real coinage and all authentic Cal gold fractionals have the denomination listed on them in cents or dollars. This looks like it might have been made from the 1950s-1970s as a fantasy piece since in this era there were thousands of these produced.

I was surfing the bay for items ending in the next 12 hours and came across that coin it looked kinda fake to me the coin itself but basically i was just wondering what you all thought thanks for replies

If you see a "Bear" on the reverse of a of "Cal" California fractional, it is a token, replica, that has been plated or made of solid gold and was not made by a private company from the era of inscribed on the date. They were struck much later and are souvenir oriented.

Also, the images of these "objects de'art" are very deceiving...they are so small I could loose one in my open hand.

So, no great lose with this one.

Carry on.