• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning and pf70

8 posts in this topic

Have just bought a 1999 silver set of clad quarters. 2 of the coind have the slightest amount of toning. I was told that these coins were recently graded by ngc and that id the coin meets all the other criteria of a 70 that the toning doesnt affect the grade. Kooging for some input on this. I would think that the toning would affect the ultra cameo rating and therby not eligable for the 70 grade. Thanks

These coind were graded pf70uc. I also have seen it in silver statehood quarters and have been told that the coins recently came back from ngc. I dont believe I have seen a pf70 that didnt have the uc labeling.

a 1999 silver set of clad quarters.

I'm not quite sure I know what you are refering to here...there is a silver set and a clad set, one's in a red box (silver) and the other blue (clad) but if they, the coins are already graded, the holder will identify the coin.

These are "Proof" coins and being ultra-modern would normally have the "Ultra-Cameo" (also DC Deep-Cameo other grading co.s) designation and the "russet" brown toning, if that's what color they are, would have no effect on the grade point.

Welcome to the boards and this is the best way for you to buy these coins, already graded, if you know little or nothing about them.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks, I didnt mean a silver set of clad quarters. I meant that I have noticed the toning on silver statehood quarters also. I noticed this toning on 2 of the clad 1999 quarters as well as on 2 silver 1999 quarters in a set I am trying to put together and was concerned about the toning. From your statment it is suggested that if I was to send to ngc toned coins from either silver proof sets or clad, the toning doesn't affect the grade and that the ultra cameo,uc,dc has little to do with the actual cameo of the coin, simply because the coin is ultra modern and gets the cameo labeling for this reason soley?. Surely, the toning does distract the cameo.

Thanks for your thoughts.

and that the ultra cameo,uc,dc has little to do with the actual cameo of the coin, simply because the coin is ultra modern and gets the cameo labeling for this reason soley?.

Not true...the contrast of the devices vs the fields has evertyhing to do with it being UC...I just related that it is normally associated with ultra-modern, 1999 to present to have a very nice contrast of strike because the San Francisco Mint has this down to a science. It is very possible to get a lower Cameo designation and a lower point grade than a 70 due to other characteristics of the coin.

There are no guarantee's to any grade once submitted. Best thing would find a NCG Authorized dealer and have them take a look before submitting, they might save you some hard earned dollars and put you onto some coins that might do a bit better.

Good luck

The coins in question are all graded ngc pf70uc thats the reason for the topic. They were recently graded and that sparked my interest in toning and grade 70 .Thanks for the info on the field as opposed to the devices explains it to some extent.

Generally speaking, the light honey or caramel toning sometimes seen on these coins (the 2000 clad coins exhibit this as well) has no effect on the grade, which derives primarily from technical perfection and overall eye appeal.

The CAMEO and ULTRA CAMEO designations are independent of the grade and depend solely on the perceived contrast between the coin's frosted devices and mirrored fields. As an aside, the use of the word cameo to describe this effect derives from cameo jewelry, in which a typically white carved ivory silhouette portrait is set against a contrasting colored background.

Nowadays it's unusual for modern proof United States coinage to exhibit less than ULTRA CAMEO contrast when in new condition.

Beijim