• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hmm Is a Buffalo Nickel REALLY a BISON Nickel hm

15 posts in this topic

heheehhe Kinda loses its flare being called a BISON Nickel AYe ... Got to thinking as I was picturing this Coin for sale on Ebay smile.gif

1598406-Rushmore.jpg

A Dictionarian Quote ...

"the American Bison, which is commonly referred to as "buffalo" in American Western culture"

1598406-Rushmore.jpg.41a96c59a7dd055ba4053c6c0e5f24fb.jpg

In 1912, as Fraser was putting the final touches on his design, Treasury Secretary MacVeagh usually referred to the animal as a "bison" not a "buffalo." Fraser called it both, depending on which of his letters one reads.

The sign on the cage for the animal Fraser claimed was the model, “Black Diamond,” who lived at New York’s Central Park Menagerie, said "American Bison."

Yes, technically it IS a bison. wink.gif

Actually, a Bison bison if you really want to get scientific. grin.gif

Okay, that was bad. tongue.gif

I read that the nickname 'buffalo' comes from the fact that it kinda reminded early American settlers of the African and Asiatic Water Buffaloes.

So I guess you could call it a 'Bison Five Cent Piece,' if you really wanted to. wink.gif

-Amanda

Yes, technically it IS a bison. wink.gif

Okay, that was bad. tongue.gif

I read that the nickname 'buffalo' comes from the fact that it kinda reminded early American settlers of the African and Asiatic Water Buffaloes.

So I guess you could call it a 'Bison Five Cent Piece,' if you really wanted to. wink.gif

-Amanda

heheh I knew you would chime in smile.gif AMANDA

Poor Black Diamond was not in good health and ended up as "mystery meat" -- He was sold for only $300, much less than his meat value, largely because it would cost the zoo money if he died there and they had to pay to have him hauled away. The $300 was used to buy new animals. We don't know which other Central Park Menagerie inmates ended up as the "blue plate special."

Poor Black Diamond was not in good health and ended up as "mystery meat" -- He was sold for only $300, much less than his meat value, largely because it would cost the zoo money if he died there and they had to pay to have him hauled away. The $300 was used to buy new animals. We don't know which other Central Park Menagerie inmates ended up as the "blue plate special."

I was sad when I learned this. frown.gif

Funny, I've heard that one before. wink.gif

Hoot

I was waiting for you, Hoot! smile.gif

Poor Black Diamond was not in good health and ended up as "mystery meat"

My understanding was that the person that bought him and had him slaughtered actually sold "Black Diamond" steaks made from him. His head was also mounted (owned for at least awhile if not still by Bill Fivaz.), and his hide was made into an automobile robe. (Lap robe or blanket used by passengers in early autos, especially those in the rumble seat, to stay warm in cold weather.) I do not know what became of the auto robe.

Amanda good to see you are back thumbsup2.gif. Did you go on a vacation? I was hoping you didn't leave us for another board.

I have just been really busy. And also we had family visiting that I don't get to see very often. smile.gif

Woody that picture is sad. frown.gif

-Amanda

That's a sorry looking critter....(referring to the beefalo and its handler). The head looks a little forlorn, too.