• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will this coin grade AU or higher?

11 posts in this topic

Based on the photo, which is not the greatest, detail wise, it looks to be about AU53-55. Tough tell from the photo whether there are any problems with the coin.

Considering it's in an NTC 62 slab, I would be suprised if it's problem free.

JJ

Thanks, I didn't think it would make unc. grade but I thought it was for sure AU and I didn't really see anything wrong with the coin.

thanks again, Jes

My guess is that the coin grades AU, but if the color in the image is accurate I'm not convinced it's original. The color looks at least somewhat off/wrong for a copper-nickel piece.

The first thing that struck me about the coin was the off-color. I think the coin has been badly re-colored, and would be highly suspicious of it.

Hoot

I think that the color is misleading and is a light issue. I'm attaching another image and as you can see the color is completely different. I have a 1962, 1961, and 1960 and 1959 all in XF and they are pretty much the same only this one is sharper. Thanks again, jes

1586826-1863OBV.jpg.483dc0663e39f5efb25cdc3541c86484.jpg

The coin has AU sharpness and is nicely struck with diamonds running down the ribbon. But the color is off from what a Mint State coin should be, which could be the result of a cleaning.

NTC slabs are something I avoid. Yes, the coin could grade AU at the "big two" services, but the color in photo is accurate, the coin could just as easily get a body bag.

I re-sized the last picture just to see the color distribution on the coin a bit better. I would definitely say that the coin has been worked on - likely for the spot of verdigris at K2 and perhaps elsewhere. The coin is not worth anything near the details value.

Just as an aside, I recently cracked and sold a bunch of matron head cents for a friend. They were all in NTC holders, all badly graded, all un-original for color, most of them cleaned, and two of them counterfeit (but slabbed as genuine). NTC is a horrible service and unreliable as hell. You can cherrypick the coins in their holders but only in person.

1587040-IHC.jpg

Hoot

1587040-IHC.jpg.023d1721a72373d896845ee2e5afaafe.jpg