• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classic Commemorative Picture Post

77 posts in this topic

I've always enjoyed the history behind the Classic Commemoratives. I started a series ATS that I enjoyed doing. I'm thinking about starting the series here because I think it would be enjoyed more by folks here. confused-smiley-013.gif These are new images I just got from mgoodm3 and I couldn't help myself, I had to post them. smile.gif Post your's as well.

1925obvA.jpg

1920obvA.jpg

1936obvA.jpg

I think these are Jeremy's pics from last years charity auction. Please jump in on this years auction. It's a great cause and the auction is held by a fine young man.

boone_obv2.jpg

boone_rev2-1.jpg

This is a terrific series to collect and one may be able to buy truly choice coins for little above the generic drek, but it is also a long haul if one chooses to do the 50 or 144 piece type sets. I only own four pieces currently so I will show two of them in this post.

1466258-CopyofI1892P64.jpg

1466264-CopyofI1892P64R.jpg

1502581-CopyofI1936P65.jpg

1502583-CopyofI1936P65R.jpg

Thanks guy's for adding your super Classic Commem's here! thumbsup2.gif Appreciate all the kind words! I think Mark is going to be plenty busy, real soon. wink.gif Heres the last of my current Classic's:

1893obvA.jpg

1893obv.jpg

1893rev.jpg

1934obvA.jpg

1934obv.jpg

1934rev.jpg

Thanks for everybodies participation in this cool picture post. This series is the one I enjoy most. The variety of artist and designs and the cool background stories of the politics and people that brought them together is fascinating. There are four very nice coins I have my eye on right now. Unfortunately, my employer is proceeding with substantial cutbacks and I have been advised to begin preparing for the lean times ahead. frown.gif I may still try to get one of them (a Columbian or a Lincoln) but needless to say if you see me with more than one new coin this month you might want to send me a link to one of those fiscal responsibility post given by one of our more mature members! laugh.gif I guess I should shut up and post a picture before I get depressed. I happen to like this York quite a bit. This coin seems to be readily available in higher grades and is usually quite attractive.

Matt

73085939.4faxrxJv.York2.jpg

73085937.7D1TBeRZ.York1.jpg

Here is my Maine, which is quite similar to yours, Lee.

That's a beauty Tom! cloud9.gif

FatMan love that Pilgrim too! thumbsup2.gif

Hi, BillJones

Wow, I just love your Hawaiian Sesquincentennial! grin.gif

The light golden color make for a great feel for the coin.

I want that! yay.gif

Everyone has such fantastic Commemoratives, keep them coming! thumbsup2.gif

AAJ

Hi, BillJones

Wow, I just love your Hawaiian Sesquincentennial! grin.gif

The light golden color make for a great feel for the coin.

I want that! yay.gif

Everyone has such fantastic Commemoratives, keep them coming! thumbsup2.gif

AAJ

Actually is more like a light blue haze than an golden. It probably came from the United Fruit hoard that Bowers and Ruddy auctioned off 20 or so years ago ...

It came out of a complete set I bought about 10 years ago. The motivation for buying that set for me was that coin. It was the "perfect MS-64" which was the grade I wanted for my collection. The rest of the coins ranged from OK to 893censored-thumb.gif.

If you ever get in the market for an Hawiian, watch out. A lot of the MS-62 graded coins are sliders in Unc. clothing, and dealers often want WAY too much for the decent MS-64 coins. I can sell all the TRUE MS-64 I can find I could buy them for between "bid" and "ask" on the Gray Sheet.