• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know a dealer who will actually actively seek out...

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know a dealer who will actually actively seek out a coin for you?

A date, a certain type?

I'm talking about actively seek out, not just have a notepad and if the occasion arises, acquire.

One of my local dealers is very good from what I have been told but my few brief discussions with him were not self assuring. With the internet I understand why dealers are not as profitable as in the past but for the consumer its a good thing. If there were a coin you really wanted, do you really believe a dealer could find it faster, at a better price than you can? There may be limited examples, but with due diligence I believe the coin of your dreams are yours for the asking.

I think a dealer's willingness to seek out a coin is a function of how expensive the coin is (and how hard the coin is to find) and how busy the dealer is.

If a dealer has all he can handle just doing what he's doing now, he's less likely to take the time to seek out either a not too expensive coin or a really hard to find coin.

On the other hand, when the coin market slows down and the dealer wants more cash flow, he'll probably be more willing to (and have the time to) make some call s for you.

If you are talking about most US coins, as the prior post stated, there is no reason why a collector cannot do that on their own. How many US coins that the typical collector is looking for are not always availablea at any given moment?

If you are talking about US coins that are actually rare (as opposed to the material that is common or just expensive but still available) or many world coins, then that is probably going to depend upon how good of a customer you are and the dealer's network. I do not consider it realistic to expect any dealer to expend much effort to find the $100 (or less) material that the typical collector buys. They have to make a living using their time efficiently and that may not be the best way to do it.

There is one dealer that I have had bid for me at auction who I have asked to look for specific items for me, but he has shown no interest in doing so. The first time I exchanged correspondence with him was for a coin he sold to one of his cleints for $1800. He told me that guy bought $100,000 per year from him. I guarantee you he will look for anything for that client.