• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do these hits lower this 1/10 oz gold eagle's grade?

8 posts in this topic

I just got this little 2004 1/10 oz gold eagle in the mail. It's my first gold piece which I picked up at around bullion value in a trade - I wasn't too concerned about grade at that price. It's got a few hits on the surface, and I was wondering what y'all might grade it. My pictures are too tiny, I know, but just for grins, assume the surfaces are fine except for the hits I circle. I'm guessing something like MS-64? I dunno - the thing's almost as small as my trime. 27_laughing.gif

The obverse marks are both small hits; the reverse thing is a speck on the surface, I think.

1580762-2004.jpg

1580762-2004.jpg.c9bdfe34eecb6ef7cf27629cc22b3aee.jpg

Going by slab grades, I'd say the coin grades MS-65. Over years I've been surprised at the number marks a modern coin in an MS-65 holder can have. When the mint issued the first state quarters a dealer I know aquired a number Delaware and other state quarter issues in PCGS MS-65 and 66 holders. When I looked at the coins I was surprised at how many marks the pieces had. They were no better than the stuff in my pocket. 893whatthe.gif

Despite that this dealer had asking prices in the $40 to $45 neighborhood, and collectors were actually buying the coins from him. screwy.gif He eventually got out of the "pocket change in slabs" market when one of his former customers spotting in the hall outside of that year's ANA Convention. The guy starting yelling at him calling him "a crook" and other less polite terms that have to do with an intimate part of the body. This incident convinced my dealer friend to stock other coins instead. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm no Gold expert but from what I have seen they grade Gold a little more forgiving...

That said I would think 66 is not out of the question... thumbsup2.gif

You are not wrong, Dave, but when the marks are that obvious, I hate to give a small, light coin like this an MS-66. In the sceme of things, this 1/10 ounce gold piece is actually a bit "banged up."

You might try a little acetone and a gentle Q-Tip to see if the reverse discoloration will come off.

If those are the only marks on the coin, then I think it's a solid 66, possibly 67 on a good day. Your photograph magnifies the actual impact of the hits which, to the naked eye, are quite small (though clearly discernible).

Beijim