• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The latest Goldberg auction is up

7 posts in this topic

And there are some really amazing coins.

For example, there is an NGC MS68 1811 Bust Half. Would you believe it? I didn't think such existed.

There are also some incredibly high quality Busties, unfortunately, all way out of my price range (quite a few in the gem and higher range).

The Seated Half coinage being offered is also quite nice. Some more affordable and very nice looking coins.

Goldberg auction

The 1811 Bust Half WOW!!!

If the images use the same lighting techniques used a few years ago then I would suggest some caution in viewing the images. In my opinion, they were a little too flattering back during the Benson sales.

If you happened to see my rant about PCGS slabbed Busties, there were a few crazy priced Benson's in that last Heritage auction that looked like they were dipped and retoned, and it also looked like there were hairlines present from the photos. Got to love that 1811, but I didn't know a CBH could grade that high. Tonite I will look through that Goldberg sale and see if I need to buy a plane ticket insane.gif

you'll need a plane ticket!

I read your rant and responded.

There's a lot of nice seated coinage in this auction.

I won't be able to bid on any of it.

There might be a lower priced coin somewhere out of my main collecting interest that might trigger my trigger finger if you know what I mean, as I didn't see any capped busts I think I could afford (though I'll have to look them over again), most of the colonials are frightening unless you can actually see them and examine them with a glass and then still wonder if they are gradeable by one of the top two tpg's. I'd love to buy some more seated halves and dollars, I think they are all sleepers, but just don't have the moolah for that right now. I could create a list of at least 5 critical coins that i've seen, and i mean 5 coins i've chosen that without question (unless there was a big surprise) are real winners. And I didn't look at any gold coinage yet.

Similarly the STACK auction has some real gems hidden in between a lot of should I dare say widgets? without being a snob? So you travel from lot to lot thru some dreck and all of a sudden WOW, i can't not bid on THAT one.

And there goes the cash!

Some of my nicest coins came to me unexpectedly at Goldbergs and STacks auctions that would certainly end up in my core holdings, so I'm always prepared for that 'surprise'. And there are quite a few in them pages mon.

and edited to add; note to MBA101, when I started collecting, I started (as an adult...when I was a child I bought anything that looked interesting). My mother worked in a NY LIbrary so an y book I wanted I got and I studied and I learned a lot but most of that was fried out by the '60s..must have been, because my intellectual quotient has got to be a lot less now than it was back then. Anyway, I needed cash and bailed out of the carson city double eagles I was collecting (looking at your set brought back some memories), and I decided than that if I were to ever collect gold again I would let whatsisname...Doug Winter be my dealer. I think he really knows gold and I trust him )hopefully rightfully so), but I haven't gotten back into gold yet. I'd have to sell everything off probably to so that.

Anyway....I'm constantly surprised by these auctions, lots of *spoon* with lots of specialty coins in between, real nice, if you know how to judge them from their pictures. which isn't too hard once you've won a few coins from them and know how things kind of turn out.

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

All things considered, I have found a few targets in the Heritage Long Beach sale, and right now I am not doing the $3000 coin thing until I really need to. That said, there are some great coins in this Goldberg sale.